Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have 2 cats, a Himalayan (Guiness 3 1/2 yrs old), and a Russian Blue mixed with something unknown (Bailey 1 1/2 yrs old). We have had both of them since they were 8 wks old, and they have been living together for quite awhile now. They get along fine and play together often. The only thing that concerns me is that every couple of days or so, Guiness will jump on top of Bailey and grab Bailey's neck with his mouth. He holds on to his neck until we come and stop them. He always makes this noise (sounds like rowl, rowl) right before he does it. This is the only time he makes this noise. This is also the only time he hurts Bailey when they are playing/wrestling. Bailey makes a horrible crying noise each time this happens. They are both males and are both fixed. Any insight on this is greatly appreciated!
Julie

·
Registered
6 Posts
dominance

Only thing I can think of is he feels the need to assert his dominance. That would be what I would expect with my limited cat knowledge at least. My dogs do the same time occasionally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have done this for over a year now...It started somewhere around 6 months after we got Bailey. I thought it was something sexual, the way Guiness gets on top of Bailey, but they are both fixed. Guiness does it whether Bailey is standing, or laying down. He just straddles him or lays completely on him, and bites his neck. The only reason I'm worried about it, is because when Bailey cries in pain, Guiness doesn't let go. When they are playing, and Guiness goes too far and Bailey cries, Giuiness lets go right away. And the noise he makes is bizarre sounding!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Guiness is asserting his dominance over Bailey. My gerbils do this too :roll: . I don't really know how to solve the problem, but I imagine giving the cats more space for territory would be a possible solution. Here is a link on making kitty shelves on the wall to increase the vertical space in your home. I think it may help with the mounting because Bailey can get away to a high up spot. This is just a guess and I hope someone else can be of more help.
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5416

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
When you separate them, does Bailey run away or hide from Guinness? Does Guinness seem agitated or hostile after they're separated? Or do the two of them just sort of go back to doing normal cat stuff, seemingly unruffled?

It sounds like either very rough play or a dominance thing. Usually in the case of a catfight, the loser will run away at the earliest opportunity. The growling can be very disconcerting, I have one really growly guy up at the shelter that I'm still trying to figure out.

Have you noticed any common theme, like that it happens right after feeding, or after one of them has used the litterbox? One of them could inadvertantly be infringing on the other's territory. Does it happen during the course of playing, or is it out of the blue? Always in the same room or part of the house? Things that we might overlook can be of great importance to cats, even something like a strange cat wandering past the window.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I seperate them, Bailey does run away, but usually comes back and nudges Guiness to clean him after about 2 or 3 minutes. I haven't really noticed it being a consistent thing, after eating, or anything like that. It's in random places in the house. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts