Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im new here.

I woke up the other day to find a dead kitten in my front room, only looked about 11/12 weeks old. It looked like it had been bitten by something rather large.

The strange thing is my cat mustve brought it in through the catflap.

The even stranger thing is my cat is a tom cat but he was acting very very strange around it! meowing and prodding it and laying down beside it. When we took the kitten outside my cat followed us and wouldnt leave the kitten at all. (we put it outside until i could bury it).

My question is, is this normal behaviour for a tom cat? (the kitten was the spitting image of my cat) could it have been one of his babys and that was why he was so upset?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is your male neutered? Hmm...don't want to alarm you, but I have heard of instances where unneutered male tom cats have killed kittens in their "territory." My cat, Gus, acts that lovey dovey with the mice he kills :shock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he isnt neutered

but there is no way he couldve made the sort of injuries the kitten had. he is a very small tom.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
On occasion, a domestic cat will kill kittens. It's rare, however. I guess it's possible that he has a strong fatherly instinct. My tom did.

I hope you'll consider having your cat neutered. He will live longer, and there will be fewer kittens being put down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts