Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help to identify this cat? I got an email from a friend who lives in the suburbs of San Diego. I couldn't think of a wild cat that would fit the description, and it doesn't sound like any cat I've ever seen:

Today I saw a cat about the size of a tomcat or racoon outside. It was gray, with black stripes that started at the spine and went along the rib area, sort of like zebra stripes, only very symmetrical. Its tail looked like a racoon's, but then it looked right at me and it was definitely a cat. Very pretty and reminded me of Esmerelda in the face. Could it have been a wild cat?
I'm sure she would have recognized a long haired Tabby. Of course there are pure breds with Tabby markings, but I think my friend would have said it had Tabby markings. She is not new to cats. Help?

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be. I got the impression that it was fluffy, because of the racoon tail. Also, her cat, Esmerelda, was a fluffy cat with a "sweet" expression. I have given her this link, so hopefully others will have suggestions and links to pictures. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It certainly has the right tail, but no body stripes. Hmmm, maybe we've made a real discovery here! :) I appreciate your help. I have given this link to my friend.

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shw found one here in our gallery. It is evidently a very large blue mackeral tabby with very distinct markings. She said in her last email:

I finally found in in my History...I clicked on to see the slide show and there was the cat! It's the closest in appearance to the cat I saw this am. The one I saw was mostly gray with the prominent black stripes, and an Esmerelda-like face...very gently looking, but bigger and sturdier.

http://www.catforum.com/photos/slidesho ... =1&cat=500
Now, the question is, whose cat is it? I was surprised to discover it's a tabby, but the markings are very distinctive, and I don't know if I've ever "met" one either.

Now, will the real owner stand up? :) Thanks for your help! I'm having problems posting the picture..perhaps because it's part of a slide show Any more experienced people to help, please?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts