Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 6 months since we Fred lives with us, he has had a number of favorite spots - on the coach, on the kitchen cabinet, on the fridge or window sill, but now he has given up all these relatively comfortable places ... for sitting on the modem. He can't fit on it, so he sits on it with his front paws with the rest of his body on the floor, and that seems such an uncomfortable position! Sometimes he also sleeps there at night or just sits next to it. No way to get him on his old-favorite blanket anymore, he'll just lay on that modem for hours :D
What kind of weird sitting/sleeping preferences do your cats have?

·
Banned
154 Posts
Mimi has started sleeping on top of my dirty clothes hamper. It has a cover on it and one day I put my fleecy blanket on top of it while I was cleaning my room so she made that her home. Now the blanket stays on top and she sleeps there during the day. Yesterday I REALLY wanted to do some laundry but she was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her, so I put it off until today. And .... she's there again so hopefully I'll get some laundry done!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Disco liked to be on top of the fish tank (not really to sleep, but she would get up there and 'pace' across it back and forth)

Disco and Zinny liked to be on top of the treadmill console. Zinny took a nap there just the other day! And it's at a slant, so I dunno how she keeps from sliding off!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Underneath a chair we have on the little 2 step landing bit we have in the middle of the stairs.

In my sock drawer (underneath the bed), but generally only when something scares her (like fireworks).

As for sitting preferences, at the moment it's the Bach Double Violin Concerto in D Minor which is on my floor. The rest of the floor is almost completely clear....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Currently, on a cushioned kitchen chair covered/rolled under the kitchen table.

With Toby only being 12 weeks old and having had him only 1 week, it's sometimes hard to find him because suddenly he'll be sleeping in a spot that he had never been in before so I didn't look there.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Prince has taken to requesting his meals on the washing machine. He also likes to stalk his toys from the safety of behind my sandal (beats me how he thinks a sandal can conceal his 14lbs body...). As to sleeping, he has a new favorite spot every month or so. Currently it's the threshold of the bathroom (I guess it's because it's the only place in the apt. without carpeting and it's so hot here). His more or less permanent bed is an interactive circular toy with 4 arches over it. He never played with it but loves it as his personal gloriette. He also sleeps on top of the fridge, on top of the ladders, the ironing board, his shredded paper hill.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Midnight, the wild cat, has taken up a place on a storage cabinet in the garage. He has two beds and a tree in the garage, but this is his new place. I think the height and the fact that he can look out the door at the deer and foxes is a plus. Nice fangs. :p

·
Registered
438 Posts
He probably wants to sleep on the modem 'cause it's warm and toasty. They will make themselves comfortable ANYWHERE they find, lol.

Apollo has a Throne. It's my wooden gliding chair that I never use because I can't find a cushion that will fit it that I like. So I have layers on it. A black and white down throw pillow, my Bumblebee pillow pet and a huge thick blue fleece blanket. He will often come to me for pets and cuddles as he's getting sleepy, but seconds before he falls asleep, he will jump over me to get onto his chair. Spoiled! I actually had company one day and my friend sat in his chair... Apollo sat on the floor under my friend and just stared at him until he left, lol.

Since my floor is always cluttered with Apollo's toys and my shoes and sandals.. Well, I have hard wood floors and one big area rug in my living room and a runner in my hallway. He will sleep in between either my sandals or any other shoes on the rug. I guess he feels safe and secure. I actually found him with part of his body stuffed inside my fuzzy slipper.. Lol. He's 9lbs and I don't know how he did it.

He also likes to lay in my bath tub and in my bathroom sink. Weirdo!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
GT, nah it's your slippers he's inlove with. That, or like Prince he has suicidal tendencies by choosing to lie right where all my shoes are.

Now seriously, cats tend to choose a place to sleep near their beloved staff's shoes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
lol @ the modem. Perhaps because it's warm?

My current cat doesn't pick many unusual spots. She has taken a liking to sitting on my dining room chair that my previous cat used to like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the modem indeed is warm and now that summer is over, he seems to have found his personal heater. Right now he's sitting on the modem again with eyes closed, apparently enjoying the feeling of getting the butt warmed up :p
Precious.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I am getting ready for vacation, and doing a bunch of laundry. Earlier tonight, Zinny was playing "hide and attack" from a towel draped over the edge of a laundry basket (attacking Nebbie, not me). The basket tipped over, so now instead of a defense fort, it's apparently a bed!
Sort of glad these are dirty and still need to be washed. Not sure I want Zinny sleeping in dirty towels, though... LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
These probably aren't weird spots, but my cat loves to sleep in boxes, under beds. Also my mom converted the baby seat I used to use as a baby as a cat bed, because she was annoyed at our cat sleeping on her bed lol.

Caramels poor attempt to sleep in an instant noodle box:

The baby seat:

Under the bed:

A laundry hamper we specifically bought for him to play in :

·
Registered
365 Posts
My cat loves cardboard. Her turbo scratcher, any cardboard scratcher, empty soda 12-packs, random boxes, etc. She likes to roll around on the cardboard, and when she's done, she just lays on it. We had one of those over the door knob type of cardboard scratchers, and she managed to knock it down, and moved it over by the sliding glass door, so that she can drape herself across it while she looks out the window. :lol: Like the cardboard, she also has a strange affinity for the SO's Rainbow (leather) flip-flops which are very well broken in. She loves to roll around and lay on them.

When she wants some peace and quiet, she sleeps in the bathtub, but most of the time she wants to be where the people are. When she's home alone, I often find her on the fridge when I get home, but she never gets up there when we're home.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Star and Momo are the only two who have strange sleeping spots. Star likes to sleep in the top drawer of my daughter's dresser. Not so weird, right? Well the top drawer contains all of her socks and panties. For some reason, Star loves it there. As for Momo, she likes to sleep on top of our ancient big screen TV, on top of the cable box.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When we babysat my son's family cat while he was between posts in the army, we set up several nice sleeping places, - pillows, fleece-lined baskets, etc. - she ended up adopting a wooden serving tray. :p

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
This isn't an uncommon sight in the backyard during the summer, often called the roadkill pose, since she looks dead to the world:

And here she is in our neighbours front yard (about 20 steps from our front door, no fence between) in some hay that they don't have the heart to move since she sleeps in it during the day so often, all year long - any season, even if it's raining/cold... Blacky is a strange one. We call it her nest and often question whether she's going to lay an egg:

Blaze on the other hand doesn't have any strange sleeping places, just strange peeing place.

·
Registered
505 Posts
And then there is the comfort of the recycle bid, topped with a rug, on a sunny, below zero Winter day, on the South side of the garage. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts