Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two kittens that are sisters. They are about 12 weeks old right now, and seemingly quite healthy. The last two days, one of the kittens has been doing something very odd, and to be completely honest, awkward. Arya, the smaller one, has been "cleaning" Fiona's genital area, and quite vigorously at that. She just goes at it, and I can't get her to stop. I'll pull her off of Fiona and she'll just go right back to it. Is this normal cat behavior, like it is in children to explore, or is it something I should try to do do something about? Any help would be awesome. These are my first cats I've ever had.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would do all you can to stop this behaviour from Arya as it will otherwise make Fiona sore & you dont want it to continue into adult hood

I think this would usually happen when kittens are take away from mumma cat too early & are looking for something, anything to suckle on for comfort, you can get special Teat soother's for these babies

I can not find the link to the site atm but if you do a search you will find them x

good luck x

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
My little sisterbratz have never done this.

Victoria's post and advice is probably spot-on. Unfortunately, the specific site Victoria is talking about is "out of supplies" and wants votes to help them get a grant (and investors in their company). Lame.

Hopefully there are other sites who sell this product.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree with the two posters above but it might aslo be worth checking that the kitten who is bing licked doesn't have a discharge of some kin that is drawing the other kitten.

·
Registered
239 Posts
sorry for that this was the site I was looking for Real Kitten and Cat Pacifiers and Pacifier Toys

as Arianwen has suggested it would be a good idea to check Fiona just in case but I do not think kitten's & cat's would want to lick or suckle another kitten/cat's discharge, this is dog behaviour but I don not believe it is likely with cat's although I may be wrong in this case x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions!! I have been discouraging the behavior, and so far I have only caught Arya doing it once in three days. So thank you for clearing all that up for me! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts