Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been noticing that one of my cats has been peeing on the mat in front of the litter box lately. I was worried it was a behavioral issue until I caught the culprit in the act. It's my male cat (2yrs) and he's not actually peeing directly on the mat. Instead, he goes inside the litter box like but since he always likes to pee right along the front edge, he's accidentally going a outside the box without knowing it! I've caught him doing it two or three times now where I've witness him IN the box but most of the pee hitting the mat OUTSIDE the box. It's a very large litter box. Does anyone have recommendations to getting their cat to walk further into the litter box?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
hahaha...if you find the magic cure, let me know. Lacey likes to pee on the edge of the box. I can always tell when it's her that goes because of this. It's a habit and one I don't think one that will be easily broken. Maybe a litterbox like this one:

Iris Open Cat Litter Box with Guard at Pet Shed

This is what we use in 2 of the rooms. It keeps the pee inside the box where it belongs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Ugh, it's such a pain. I personally like the covered boxes because of where it is in my small city rowhouse. I may need to try to find one with a different bottom. I swear, he might just still squat on the rim!

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I use a covered litter box, but that because one of my cats is a real litter kicker, but that would work for your problem. Or, a plastic storage box that has high sides...cut one of the sides down a little to make entry easier, provide something (chair or stool) for cat to jump on beside the box to make it easier for him to get into the box.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, catloverami. I do use a large covered box right now and that's where he's having the issue. I just need to convince him to walk further into it to tinkle! He's a tall/large cat and it's a standard litter box so it doesn't give him trouble getting in and out. A bigger box might have to be experimented with!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Years ago I fostered a beautiful DLH with a HUGE fluffy tail. He didn't like to get his feet wet.. not sure how he managed to either, but he would "prop" 2 feet on one side of his body up on the edge of the box. as you can imagine this caused him to miss alot. I had resort to a sweater/blanket box. which was a bit longer then a litter pan but happened to have higher sides to block his misses a bit. it didn't hurt that he was a pretty large boy anyways.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I always lay down newspaper then set the litter box on top.
Samantha would pee over the edge, Chiquita actually perches on the edge of the box when she pees, she never misses and has solid poop while when Samantha took a dump it filled the house with her stench.
I'd have to go in there sprinkle deodorizer on the little and spray air freshener.
I loved her dearly but she was Daddy's little Stinker.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luckily I have a nice plastic/rubber mat right outside that always catches the messes he makes pretty well. I can just pick it up and hose it off out back. Another problem is when he pees outside a little, he manages to kick the litter out of the covered box to cover the pee! Ugh!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But it sounds to me like this is a common enough issue that people have dealt with. Makes me feel a little better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts