Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a three year old black kitty we adopted from a rural shelter, former farm cat. We got her at six months. She settled in just fine with us and another older cat, those two did not get along but mostly ignored each other. The other cat had to be put down this January - the Vet found multiple tumors, so the black kitty has been our only pet since. Soon after we began to notice her going outside the box. Never urinating, she still does that in the box. she poops everywhere but the box. Even if we confine her in the room with the box, she almost always goes on the floor.

We've tried different litter, currently using clumping type, so we can see that she pees in the box with no problem. We've tried cleaning out the clumps several times a day but she still mostly il not poop in the box. She's been to our Vet several times, we have her on a probiotic supplement and are giving her pills It's gotten so that we feed her then confine her in a room with the box, sometimes she uses the box, usually it's on the floor an hour later.

We are just about at our wits end on this. We love her but we're older people and this is just getting too much. She's been tested for parasites, negative. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
If you have only one box, suggest you get another and put it in another room that is in a quiet low traffic area; some cats like to pee in one and poop in another. It sounds as it you are keeping the box clean by removing soiled litter......do it at minimum 2x/day. Suggest you buy some cat attractant. I have used Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter with success when one of my cats decided to avoid the litter box. After a while I was able to just sprinkle some of it on top and gradually stop using it when my girl used the litter boxes regularly. There is also Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Additive in powder form from Amazon. Hope you can get your girl interested to poop in the litter box soon. All the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip and we've ordered a bottle from Amazon. Looks like we can sprinkle some of it onto our usual litter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts