Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats, a brother and sister, both very happy, contented, playful cats.

The male one has a habit that I don't completely understand, maybe someone can enlighten me..
He very rarely meows, the only time he does, he will go and get a small toy mouse that he never otherwise plays with, carries it somewhere in the the house, and begins a loud yowling sound as though he is being slowly strangled....

He doesn't usually meow at all, I'm not sure if it means he wants attention, or what it means - any ideas?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Mine do that occasionally too, except they carry balled up socks or pantyhose, rather than a mouse :lol: . I'm not sure what it means, but it is fairly common.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My cats do this on occasion too. I usually interpret it as 'look at me -- I'm such a great hunter' and proceed to heap praise on them for hunting the dangerous sock or stuffed mouse toy or whatever. :D :roll:

It's certainly an attention grabbing sound!

~Heather

·
Registered
56 Posts
Charlee does that too with her beanie baby (seal).
We think that she believes the toy is her baby and that she's either talking to him, or punishing him for being a bad beanie baby.

We could be wrong :wink:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
With our older, semi-feral huntress, when we hear her yowling like this, it usually means she has caught something and is bringing it back for us. The only time I have ever heard her meow like that is after she has made a kill (poor mouse :cry: ). We just tell her what a great and magnificent mini-lioness she is, and she seems content that we have praised her abilities sufficiently. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts