Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We woke up yesterday to find our wonderful little 9 month old cat with her lower lip seemingly "swollen".

We don't know what happened, where it happened, or anything. I inspected it as much as she would allow... and I saw no evidence of any puncture or anything else... she also doesn't appear to be too bothered by it although she seems a little more "less active" today than normal.

I am hoping/assuming she banged it somehow during her nightly adventous around the apartment. (she is an inside cat only) Today, it seemed to be a little "larger" than it was yesterday. I haven't seen any insects to think it was a sting, heard not whines or anything... just kinda appeared.

I don't know, all I know is it is really freaking me out and I am looking for advice. We are not wealthy people, and I can't just "go to the vet" unless thats what needs to be done. Thoughts?

PS - and yes that is her lower lip and NOT her tonque hanging out as I initially thought. Please help in ANY way you can!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Vienna had that once, i kept an eye on her, about a day later it cleared up. Like you i couldnt see any marks to say she had been stung etc nor did it cause her any discomfort, so i presumed she bumped it. Keep an eye on it for 1-2 days, if it starts to cause her discomfort/get worse i suggest she goes to the vets!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Doesn't seem horribly urgent, but keep an eye on it. Most likely in a cat her age she got too rowdy and banged it or got a bug bite; but if it's not resolving quickly, or if she shows *any* other signs like lethargy, decreased appetite, sleeping more, etc. it would be time for a trip to the vet to be sure.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Those are signs of a more systemic problem, like an infection that has spread beyond the initial little wound, or a systemic allergic reaction. A lot of minor symptoms, like an area of redness, an episode or two of vomiting or diarrhea, a few sneezes, don't mean much in themselves, but if combined with such signs of a bigger problem, need more prompt attention.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this morning right under the right side of her swollen lip I noticed a small brwnish red dot under the little hairs.

It almost looks like it may be some sort of blister and is popped a bit? I don't know, it is hard to see cause it is under the chin hairs right below it... could be a little blood or a small scar covering up something I couldn't see before?

She pulls away any time I get near touching it... and when I did get a 1/2 sec touch it felt slightly "hard"

Thoughts?

She seems to be alright... perhaps slightly more tired and sleepy?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Does she seem listless, uninterested in playing, eating less? These are all bad signs with kitties -- especially ones so young. However, Jack had a little inflamation in the exact same spot about a week ago, and it has gone down since then on it's own. I think it's possible that it might be irritation from a food dish, too. If you use plastic, bacteria can collect in the microscopic pores. Using a ceramic dish is best -- but even then you should clean it out every day to wash out the oils that can cause bacteria.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My parents have a cat with an immune disorder that causes its lips and sometimes pads of its paws to become swollen, he has to get cortisone shots to make it better. Ive heard this problem is much more relevant in Purebred Persians (hes a purebred himalayan) then other breeds but my cat Isabelle (black purebred persian) died at two years old because the cortisone stopped working. I hope this isnt the case with your prescious kitty! But id definatly reccomend getting it checked at the vet if it persists more then 5 days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts