Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nearly 20 year old female cat Marilyn, who, because of her bad legs, finds it difficult getting out of the catflap now, so we put a litter tray inside for her.
She sometimes seems to have difficulty peeing (she still poos outside) because she'll squat over the tray and nothing will happen. Then she search all around the house meowing loudly and trying to pee in the wrong places, but still nothing coming out. We let her out the front, and she'll stay outside for a bit, then come back in and do the whole thing again, though she sometimes pees on the carpet once she comes back in.
But anyway, I couldn't help but notice a strange pink worm-like thing in a damp patch in the litterbox about 2cm long. She doesn't poo in there, so I don't think it's a worm. We have both our cats wormed.
My mother saw Marilyn born and she often talks sadly about how she doesn't think she'll last much longer. I've known her my whole life and I love her so much. Marilyn also has hypothyroidism and last month we took her to the vet because we found blood in her vomit. They gave us a paste to give her and it worked; she hardly ever vomits now.
She's not a young healthy cat, and she is very frail and thin, not to mention totally deaf.
Can anyone tell us what the worm thing was, and possibly if she'll last much longer? :(

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Not sure what the worm thing was, but it sounds like she has a uti or stones. I would get her checked out by a vet as it can be very painful.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think you need to take her to go see a vet as soon as possible. From your description it sounds like what Xanti said and is UTI which thankfully is a simple fix. It is painful for the kitty though and needs antibiotics. However, at her age you need to have these issues looked at just to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on like cancer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i heard apple cider vinegar can help cats with UTI too, if you're careful with it and do it right and it doesn't harm their health like antibiotics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts