Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario --

Stray cat comes around last night and sits outside our door wanting in. Stephen of course is pissed and growls continuously. The cat is bob-tailed and fluffy, declawed in the front (made me sooo mad that it's outdoors), and sweet as can be. It wasn't intimidated at all by Stephen's growls - instead, the cat seemed to not understand what the problem was. Pretty sure this is the same cat I saw hanging out around our house last fall.

Anyway, my s/o loved the cat and decided to bring it in once we checked it over for fleas, obvious signs of illness, etc. It has the best manners, listens immediately when you ask it to follow you, get down from something, etc. and basically wants nothing but constant affection. It is litter-trained also.

We put the cat in my s/o's room b/c Stephen was so upset. We figured out that she's not so much mad as absolutely terrified (she can do dogs, but cats have always been a big issue).

We decided we should take a picture and post fliers, put a found ad in the paper and ask the neighbors about the cat. The people downstairs say that they have been feeding it outside and think that it has been living in the shed behind our house. We really like the kitty and would like to have it, but I do not want to take away someone's pet.

The cat stayed the night in my s/o's room, but at 5:45 this morning was meowing constantly to go outside. We had no choice but to let it out.

Now my questions...

I'm sure it will probably come back since we took care of it. But, if it works out that we keep it, how do you train a cat that's been used to being outdoors to stay in (for it's own good)?

How can I help calm the situation b/t the two cats? Stephen is 5 years old, female, dominant and spoiled. This cat is full grown but not old (I'm guessing around 2-3 years, but who knows). I put vanilla on the backs of their necks.

Even if we don't keep the stray cat, the experience is good b/c I have been wanting another cat but haven't been able to have one b/c of Stephen's attitude.

Stephen does have claws, but I don't think she would attack this cat. She's too terrified, and the cat is smart enough to keep a fairly safe distance. To let you know how seriously upset Stephen is, her screams put to shame that of a wildcat or a bobcat. She let out a couple of ear-piercing screams that the neighbors downstairs heard (and they can't hear us slamming a door that doesn't work).

Any suggestions would be great...!!

p.s. a vet check is also a priority if the cat comes back and we keep it, just so you know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It sounds like this is a wonderful cat. You have done all the necessary things to assure that the owners are found, if the cat has owners. If not claimed very soon, the cat is yours. Within a week or so, a family would most likely come forward if they are looking properly for the cat.

Since the cat is declawed, it is important that it is NOT let out, no matter how much it meows. The cat pretty much has no way to protect itself outdoors. It need to be kept in the home.

As far as your current cat goes, in time, your cat would get used to the new one. There is always tension, fussing, even fighting when a new cat is introduced, that's normal. You just have to keep an eye on the cats, and allow them plenty of time. Eventually your current cat will accept the new one, even if they are never really friends.

If the cat comes back, you should keep it in and as soon as you feel sure about keeping the cat, go for that vet visit. Even a cat that has been outdoors all it's life will eventually adjust to being an indoor cat. It's not being cruel to keep them inside, especially if they are declawed. It's being smart and caring, actually.

If nobody claims the cat, or you decide you just cannot keep it, for instance if it just drives you crazy wanting out or whatever, take it to a shelter that will not kill it or try to find it a good home yourself.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you! :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cat came back yesterday -- and I have to admit, we were both happy to see it. My s/o should be working on the fliers today. (by the way, we've named the cat Jesse, as in Jesse James b/c it's an outlaw kitty :lol: ).

Jesse spent the day and night with us again and was not let outside when the meowing started at night.

Stephen is still hissing and growling, but only if Jesse comes into her area or walks toward her. Stephen spent most of yesterday hiding. I made sure to get her out last night and the night before for one-on-one time so she knows that no one can replace her. She is still my #1 priority.

I'll let you know if we find the owners and how everything goes. Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate the encouragement.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You should give him a more feminine name, to compliment Stephen's masculine name. :wink:

I'm glad you found him, and I hope you can keep him. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, Padunk!

Well, Jesse is a girlie-enough name... as long as you don't think about the "Jesse James" part.. 8)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I hope you get to keep the cat, it sounds like it needs to stay indoors especially being a declawed cat. Just be persistent and do not let her outside. Who knows, the next time you let her out, she may not come back. I hope you keep us updated and let us know how it turns out!

Btw, kitties probably will hiss and stuff at first but at the very least they will learn to tolerate each other like someone mentioned before, so just know that you can keep the kitty if everything turns out to be ok. Also, can you post a picture, I love pics :p

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok - here are some pics! :p

First, Jesse - (the newcomer)

and my very independent sweetheart Stephen

[/code]

·
Registered
917 Posts
try feliway while introducing them. i think it helped my kitties get along. at the evry least, it will help them relax a bit.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Calvin, formally known as Jesse, is now back with his family...

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4711

Quick question, though....

When she was describing him, she called him a type of cat beginning with the letter "A" and she said it meant he had a short tail.

I tried to do a little searching to see what kind he might be, but didn't find anything starting with "A" that even closely resembled Calvin.

Any ideas?

I really thought he was/or was close to an American Bobtail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts