Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am helping a stray cat with her kitten ( 3 months old) giving them some food and they are staying outside, it has been getting cold and i have put a cat bed outside on the patio on the chair, they love it and they snuggle in it! it will get about 32-34 degrees on some nites and i have tried to put them in big cat carrier with blankets but they refuse to go in there and they go back to the same bed. my question is will they be ok using just the bed? it has nice fluffy cushion on it and all around it sticks up about 3 inches and when they snuggle in it will fit perfect except no cover on top.
i suppose they snuggle and the body temp. should keep them warm.
i tried live my garage open some but most of the time they don't stay there!
any ideas?
one thing you have to consider is that i live in townhome complex and i don't want things get to be to obvious with neighbors!!some people not too fund of cats!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok.. So here I am getting ready to go to sleep and worried about the kitties and I look through blinds see if they are sleep in the bed , guess what I see.. They are both playing hard chasing each other out in the grass area by my patio and it is 37 degrees out there!!!! Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My feral sisters were racing around the shed and playing today in 34F weather. It's nice and sunny, but COLD (especially when the wind picks up). If they get cold enough, I imagine they would settle down somewhere.

I have built a cat box that has insulation, and they use that during the night. I am going to bed right now, but I'll post instructions and pictures tomorrow!
(or you can read the post about shelters in the Feral sub-forum, or look up "feral winter shelters" in a search engine)

·
Registered
506 Posts

Midnight, the stray that lives under my porch just doesn't mind the cold for whatever reason. He has an insulated house I built for him under the porch and another one (with a heater) in the garage along with heated water and a litterbox. Sometimes, if there is a blizzard or other storm I close him in the garage overnight (if he's there). Most of the time, though, he is gone all night. I have two heated water sources for all the animals. Yesterday he left at about 5PM, sunny day, 4 degrees. I checked for him at 10PM - still gone, not in the porch house either - 10 below zero. This morning I check for him at 4AM and he is in the house under the porch. 24 below zero! I let him the garage for his food and water, and close him in. Otherwise he would leave again. I get cold just thinking about him out there in this weather. He just doesn't mind the cold and snow. I have actually seen him traveling with the local foxes at night. Crazy Kat!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
yeti and his sister would be seen playing out on my parents patio late at night,, 2-3 months old, minnesota nights 10-20F, as long as they have unfrozen water and a dry safe place they should handle the temps just fine, temp is the least of the worries for ferals,

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning they are ready for their food by patio.. They just don't seem to be cold! When I take my two cats out for a walk, they actually get more excited about cold weather and they play alot running around chasing each other.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a picture of them i took a little while ago through my i phone

URL=http://img402.imageshack.us/i/002rug.jpg/]
[/URL]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts