Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed this cat show up at our back door a couple of times. It was always in the middle of the night.

Then, about a week ago, she showed up during the day. I assume she's a female based on her colors...is she a "Torbie"?

She was skinny. We've been feeding her for the past week or so.

We think she's previously been around people. She layed on my wife's lap.
So far we haven't been letting her in the house. We have two sons, 3 and 6.

I put an ad on craigslist to try to find her owners, but so far no response. We took her up to petsmart to see if she had a microchip, but she doesn't. Should I put up signs in the neighborhood?

I don't know what to do.

My older son really wants to keep her. Allergies are a concern, but it seems some cats bother us and others don't.

Also, I have a nearly crippling fear of change...just being honest there. It's easy to dismiss, but understand that for me it is very real. :(

I talked with a rescue group locally. They're at capacity, but they can do her basics (spaying/shots/exam) for $90. A friend of ours who is a cat lover has offered to foster her. Or we may keep her. I don't know.

So anyway, what should we do? Are we doing the right things?

She wants in the house badly

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Oh, holy crap!

I was holding strong in favor of your friend fostering her until I saw the second picture!!!! If I saw her at my door doing that, I'd melt!

She's adorable!

It's great that you put an ad up and had her checked for a microchip. You're probably checking the "lost" ads, too.

If allergies aren't acting up around her, I say give it a try. Kind of sounds like you've already fallen for her. :grin:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Awww my gosh she is irresistable! She has chosen you and unfortunately she has probably been abandoned. I would absolutely bring her in or take your friend up on the offer to foster her. Sooner rather than later, as she will wind up pregnant if she isnt already.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thank you for feeding her and checking for a microchip. I do understand your fear of change and I know it is a very difficult thing to live with. She sounds like a wonderful abandoned pet and it would be great if you could keep her, but if your anxiety is too high to take her in, it would probably be best to get her fostered ASAP. There are so many dangers out there for outdoor cats; dogs, wild animals, cars, diseases and of course pregnancy.
Hope you can find a way to keep her. She looks like a darling. And, again, thank you for caring enough to help her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody.

We brought her in last night. Everything went pretty well. She used the litterbox just fine.

She did bite me at one point. I think she was hungry. But we weren't supposed to feed her after 10 PM. She's actually at the vet today for spaying and checkup/shots. We went through a rescue group.

I wasn't petting her when she bit me. She just sort of had this...almost playful look about her and then nipped my foot. It didn't break the skin.

So anyway yeah, like I said I have what I would call a severe fear of change, so I'm going to see my counselor here in a bit.

My six year old really really wants to keep the cat. Not sure what I'll do.

Regardless, my conscience is clear. We've fed this starving cat, and either we will adopt her, or someone else will (the rescue group is no-kill of course).

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
12 Posts
She is absolutely beautiful! If I saw her at my door I wouldn't be able to resist letting her inside. $90 is a great deal to get her vaccines, examined and fixed. She has clearly grown attached already. I say, go for it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
She looks like a cutie! I would say to keep her.

Take her to the vet and have her checked for FIV, heartwoms, fleas, etc.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
You've taken care of the most important part - she'll be healthy, spayed and ready for a new home, whether it's with you or someone else. If a rescue group takes her, all they'll have to do is post those two pictures and someone will surely fall in love with her. I know I have!

·
Registered
2 Posts
She's gorgeous!
My neighborhood is a favorite for cat dumpers so I can definitely relate to your situation. I have had to care for at least a dozen strays showing up at my back door starving and beat up.
She sounds like she is very socialized and friendly, I wouldn't worry about the nip if she didn't break skin. If she wanted to hurt you she would have had no trouble doing it.
I'd keep up with the found cat notices and website posts. I live in a pretty small town with a local radio station, if you know of one near you why don't you give them a call and ask them to mention her at the end of the show. I've done this several times and the stations have always been very understanding.
$90 is a small price to pay for her health and safety, plus if it doesn't work out with you guys, it will be much easier to find her a home with a good bill of health.
I wish you and that little darling the best of luck!

Caroline

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am proud of you for taking her in and giving it a try. Hope your counselor can help you accept this cutie as a new family member. You are pushing the boundaries of your handicap and that is good. You know yourself, a little step at a time will get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised...she went through a spaying yesterday but you wouldn't be able to tell by her demeanor.

I mean, we didn't let her do anything strenuous when we got her home. But she didn't act like she was in pain at all.

This cat is very social. She's not skittish at all.

The vet estimated her age at about 1. Is she full-grown? She's tiny :)

Really, my only issue now is allergies.

We tried to adopt another cat a couple of months ago, and had to give it back in a few days. She was causing all of our allergies to go haywire (I've since found out that she's been adopted so it's all good.) My wife was breaking out in hives when the cat rubbed her.

This cat certainly isn't causing as bad of allergic reactions...but I am a little concerned.

Is it conceivable to think we'll become immune to her over time?

Again, whether we keep her or not she'll have a good home. Another foster home is lined up and she's so pretty/social she'll have no trouble finding a home.

Thanks for your help everyone!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you for taking in this kitty and giving her the chance of a wonderful life. If not with your family then with another. Hopefully, you can get to keep her.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I'm with Marie -- one look at that second picture and it's all over!! :luv

Thank you so much for taking care of her and getting her the vet care she needs. You deserve a huge "congrats" for that, even if you don't end up keeping her.

I do understand the fear of the unknown in terms of taking a kitty into your home. I kind of had that fear too, having never had a pet, until 2005 when I forced myself to be open-minded about it. Don't think of it as a change -- think of it as something you're gaining. You're just choosing to have an experience that millions of households in the U.S. are having. If all those people are doing it, there must be something good about it, right?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Wow she looks to be around 7 months old from the picture? She could of gotten pregnant. Im so glad you reached out to help her. You have changed her life for the better. What a wonderful person you are. Hats off to you.

My sons girlfriend was allergic to cats. They had two. She took clarinex. Her allergy eventually disappeared. she must of developed a tolerance. Keep us posted on her happy ending.. whether adoption thru a shelter or in your own home.

If you do decide to keep her and you have a 6 year old I would suggest soft paws at first because 6 yr olds have to learn how to treat a cat. It takes a bit of time and the soft paws would help avoid any scratching. Unless shed be an indoor / outdoor cat.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks everybody.

We brought her in last night. Everything went pretty well. She used the litterbox just fine.

She did bite me at one point. I think she was hungry. But we weren't supposed to feed her after 10 PM. She's actually at the vet today for spaying and checkup/shots. We went through a rescue group.

I wasn't petting her when she bit me. She just sort of had this...almost playful look about her and then nipped my foot. It didn't break the skin.

So anyway yeah, like I said I have what I would call a severe fear of change, so I'm going to see my counselor here in a bit.

My six year old really really wants to keep the cat. Not sure what I'll do.

Regardless, my conscience is clear. We've fed this starving cat, and either we will adopt her, or someone else will (the rescue group is no-kill of course).

Thanks everybody!

I am on board with all on here who support you giving this beautiful cat a home. I have Marble now and she was in a situation like your rescued cat. Once soon after I brought her in and she joined our other three cats, she was sitting on the banister and I got up close and said something to her. She reached out with both front feet and sank her claws into my checks. We looked at each other for a second and then she jumped down. Both of us learned something. I pushed too quick for acceptance. We have become close now a year later tho I have to accept her space sometimes.

The other nite on the bed I was playing with her waving my hand just out of her reach and she was getting upset but still trying to catch my hand. Then she began a growl, with ears back and I brought my hand to my side and she leaped at it and sank one claw in and bit me. I deserved it and I know it. I didn't do anything but later she came on the bed like nothing had happened. I apologized and gave her strokes and rubs. All was well tho I know that she still retains some feralness and has a temper and I have to repect it for what it is. None of my other three cats will do what she did. They just leave it the play bores them or they tire of it.

I mention this because I hope you will adopt this nice feline and I think it will be a good chance for your six year old to learn about having an animal and how to take care of it. Many kids never get the chance to do this. It may take time and there may be a few incidents where a cat who has been outdoors reacts sometimes to what it perceives to be intrusive to it's zone. A child should learn that animals have feelings too. My second incident above was when I pushed too hard and Marble made it known to me that 1..she has a temper and 2 that I better behave (or so the wife said).

We are glad that Marble has found us and we found her.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You made a small difference in the world by having her checked and spayed. You are greatly contributing towards a solution to the cat overpopulation problem in your area. Whatever you do from here, rest assured you've already done a great thing, much more than what the average person would be willing to do.

Like others, I would not be able to turn down a cat that so obviously wants to be a part of my home. I'd take her in. However if your allergies and anxiety are too much, cut yourself some slack and try to find her a home or foster or a no-kill shelter if neither is available.

Re: the biting, sounds like she was just trying to play with you. Buy or make her a toy so you can play with her, so she can release some energy once she has recovered. And teach her that your hand is off-limits by saying "ouch" and immediately stopping the play session and walking away when she goes for your hand or any body part.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I am on board with all on here who support you giving this beautiful cat a home. I have Marble now and she was in a situation like your rescued cat. Once soon after I brought her in and she joined our other three cats, she was sitting on the banister and I got up close and said something to her. She reached out with both front feet and sank her claws into my checks. We looked at each other for a second and then she jumped down. Both of us learned something. I pushed too quick for acceptance. We have become close now a year later tho I have to accept her space sometimes.

The other nite on the bed I was playing with her waving my hand just out of her reach and she was getting upset but still trying to catch my hand. Then she began a growl, with ears back and I brought my hand to my side and she leaped at it and sank one claw in and bit me. I deserved it and I know it. I didn't do anything but later she came on the bed like nothing had happened. I apologized and gave her strokes and rubs. All was well tho I know that she still retains some feralness and has a temper and I have to repect it for what it is. None of my other three cats will do what she did. They just leave it the play bores them or they tire of it.

I mention this because I hope you will adopt this nice feline and I think it will be a good chance for your six year old to learn about having an animal and how to take care of it. Many kids never get the chance to do this. It may take time and there may be a few incidents where a cat who has been outdoors reacts sometimes to what it perceives to be intrusive to it's zone. A child should learn that animals have feelings too. My second incident above was when I pushed too hard and Marble made it known to me that 1..she has a temper and 2 that I better behave (or so the wife said).

We are glad that Marble has found us and we found her.
Catshouse take a look at Kitty Boot Camp by Heidi. This has a lot of great tips on how to socialize your kitty. It really works! You did a wonderful thing also, bringing Marble in to be one of your fur family.:angel

Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Kitty Cat Boot Camp

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This cat is very friendly. And like I said, we think she was someone's pet. Or at least was around people.

The tell-tale sign was that she...

She basically froze when she saw the cat carrier. This was from across the room, at least 10 feet.

Also she knew how to use the litterbox right away.

Another nice thing is she hasn't used her claws to destroy anything...at all!

She really likes coming around us. She doesn't seem to mind my boys, who are 3 and 6. Last night she went and layed down right in front of their Nintendo, while they were playing it.

I think what I'm going to do is get my older son tested for allergies. If he comes back positive, I think our decision will be made. We're just taking it day by day. And one way or another, we will certainly know she has a good home. Since the local no-kill rescue group did all her medical work yesterday, I guess technically at this point we're foster parents for the cat.

BTW my boys wanted to name the cat "Trick or Treat" -- everyone we tell that to thinks it's hysterical.

Their second choice (and the name the cat is sort of starting to respond to) is Lovey. Or Lovie???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts