Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres this grey pretty long haired cat with a colar roaming near my home, i think someone may have moved out and left him. hes been crying at my door near my porch so i started to feed him. well now hes spraying my porch door right through the screen. i have 3 persians and cannot take in this cat and my cats are indoor only and have never stepped a paw outside. this stray cat must know i have kitties and is marking his territory. i cleaned up the door and im not going to feed him again. my fear is that if my cats come into contact with this urine can they get sick if this cat has any diseases?
also this grey kitty has brought some friends. so far ive only cought the grey kitty actually spray. hes a nice looking cat and i feel bad that some one just left him but i cant be putting my cats at risk. is there something i can do to protect my cats? and to stop this kitty and or friends from spraying my screen patio door?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've heard that if you pour ammonia around the outside of the house it will stop cats from spraying on your house.
I don't know if it works or though, I've never tried it.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Try and find a no kill shelter.
If that fails try and get close enough to see if he has a name tag, maybe get an address or telephone number. Or even watch him, see if you can see him go into a house regularly- what looks like home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hes wearing a hot pink flea collar lol
no name tag though, i veiw him when he comes right up to my porch glass doors and theres no tags. i thought it was a girl by the fushia colored collar but after looking at him and seeing huge cheeks theres no way its a girl. and yeah when he sprayed i got a birds eye veiw and yep hes got scrotums. i live in a townhome complex and i think he was left behind. if someone owns him i wish they would be responsable and take care of him! i emailed some no kill shelters last week, alot didnt reply and a few said sorry they are full. i dont care to remove him just to stop him from spraying. when the warm weather comes homefully my dog will chase him away although theyve been nose to nose through the glass allready lol and both seem to like each other. its my fault i shouldnt have fed him. i just scrubbed the glass and screen with orange blast kitchen cleaner it really has a strong orange odor so maybe this will deter him. i may try the amonia but doesnt pee smell like amonia too?
but do you think my cats can get ill from him? this is my main concern. can feline leukemia be transmitted this way? like if my cats lick the screen where stray kitty has marked?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh my god hes spraying everything! geez.... hes out there now and has been out all morning but he just smelled where i cleaned up and sprayed the wall instead but they after that he went and sprayed my patio chair! this is getting bad now. i may have to scare him away somehow. i mean my chair?! great

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah turn the hose on him lol
but seriously now im thinking hes out in the street for a reason he may have been spraying the persons home.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Where are you located?

You can capture the kitty and put him inside a cage in your home - keeping the door closed to keep your other animals away from him. Then you need to take him to a vet and have him tested for FIV/FeLV. Get him his shots and get him neutered(this will stop the spraying).

But FIRST
you should take a picture and post flyers around as "Found". Check flyers, classifieds, Vets and the humane society to see if anyone has lost such a cat.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Some people take on cats and dont realise that they spray, and that females can infact spray (it is rare, but they can do) That may be a thought actually, your cats *might* be spraying the door too, i read somewhere that even fixed males and females can spray- other cat spray can sometimes cause this. Do you have garden sprinklers you could turn on when you see him? altho i know thats not alwasy posible!
You can buy cat deter stuff, both sprays and granuals, maybe have them around you door/porch area see how that goes. Other than giving him a good soaking when you catch him i cant think of nothing else :\

As for urine- i know that in humans when urine leaves the body it is acutally sterile, i dont know if they same is for cats.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
stray cat

There is a product that has an electric eye that you attach to your hose. Whenever something moves into the eye, it will squirt water. This is better than you waiting up all night to try to "catch" him spraying! :) However, if he's broadened his horizons to spraying new locations, it will be harder to stop him.

Absolutely *never* use ammonia to clean up cat urine. There's a lot of ammonia in cat urine, and using ammonia to clean it will just encourage more marking.

You definitely want to get this taken care of before *your* cats start spraying inside in response. Even neutered males and females often cannot tolerate this kind of threat and will spray indoors.

This is not just a matter of your convenience. You have an unneutered cat running loose who can create more unwanted kittens, die a horrid death from cars or other hazards, spread disease, and injure other animals. There's nothing he can pass to your cats if there's no contact, but other outdoor cats are still vulnerable.

As unpleasant as it may appear, euthanasia is not be the worst thing that could happen to this guy. Suppose he has FIV or another disease that will cause a lingering painful death? If he's abandoned or neglected, someone has to take responsibility for his welfare, and that may need to be you.

However, one way to get him taken care of, hopefully without euthanasia, is to find out how long the shelter will hold a stray (usually 3-7 days), and once he's picked up by animal control, post notices all over the neighborhood saying "found cat" with his description. If his owners see it and call, you can tell them to retrieve the cat at the shelter.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i really want now to call the shelter so they can get him, the problem is Lucy, Lucy is an adorable young cat that belongs to the children next door. she is a sweet heart but shes always out. and guess what it seems Lucy is in heat, i feel like having her spayed myself but i dont want any problems with the neighors so its none of my buisness. so if i call the shelter im afraid Lucy will be cought. if i can borrow a trap from them? not sure if they do this though.
hey that electric eye sounds cool lol
i thought of fire crackers too or a cap gun, i just yelled at him and he ran and hasnt been here in 10 minutes. but that wont last. i took a picture of him along with Lucy and some big orange cat that ive seen sleeping on my patio chair at night. but so far this is the only cat that ive seen spray and spray all day!
what will happen by the summer time will all this marking start to stink?
my cats wont spray, theyve been fixed since they were 4 months old and are lazy persians who can care less about the world around them.
well im not gonna bother to clean up anymore since i now know its not just the door hes marking.
he has been looking worse lately, i mean theres all snow and ice here where could he be sleeping? the big orange one looks like he has mange on his tail, but Lucy looks great so far (crosses fingers) geez i just dont want to see Lucy with kittens next spring

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
stray cat

I'm afraid it's probably already too late for Lucy. And her babies will probably all grow up to have more and more kittens, because if the owners can't be bothered to spay her or keep her indoors, it's unlikely they will find responsible homes for the kittens.

It's a shame that people are so irresponsible! The owners of these two cats are exactly why 8 million animals (mostly cats) die in shelters every year.

Please let animal control know what is going on here. At least call them and find out if there are any breeding regulations, vaccination or licensing requirements that could be enforced and make an impression on the owners. I suspect it's unlikely in Lancaster (puppy mill capital of the known universe), but it's worth asking.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is just awfull. im sorry i moved here now, we moved here in october from brooklyn ny and people are actually more responsible with their pets over there, maybe because pets dont last long in the city and here in the country jerks figure oh "let them be free to explore". well i guess im just going to have to get used to this and by summer ill me up to my eyeballs in cat urine, well we do only rent so we can always move lol
yeah when i moved here someone mentioned that the amish people are known puppy millers, ew, theres an amish farm right behind my townhouse, which i forgot the smell of the horses should knock out the smell of the cats. well the family who owns Lucy looks like they would hit me if i mention a spaying and joy they just got a puppy for xmas.
it made me sick when the little boy said we try to keep her in but she runs out....i have cats and a puppy pekingese and yeah sometimes they get that look in there eye like they wanna dash out the door but im so cautious and make every effort to make sure it does not happen and i have a 7 year old daughter and even she knows to be carefull.
the only law for cats here is i think they have to be vaccinated against rabies. and the funny thing is that renting here there is a pet policy, its 25 dollars a month pet fee per pet. you know im the only fool to pay it

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think calling a no kill shelter would be the easiest bet. The cat needs to be neutered if it's out running around. And if it was someones pet then most likely he will be accumtomed to people and be an easy sell. And then you'll no longer have to clean up after him.

It is a shame how many people out there really don't care. There are cats who have come to the shelter I volunteer at that were declawed by not spayed. And this weekend 3 month old kittens came in that were abandoned in a snow bank (all 3 are ok, and 2 are adobted already). I don't understand people like that. At least take the extra effort to drop them off at the SPCA at night or something - which offen happens. Someone else could enjoy them, and save them from a cruel death.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hes just sitting out there now, waiting for me to feed him.
im going to email more shelters and see what they can do.
hopefully hes going to leave once he realizes theres no food here anymore.
he looks cold hes all hunched up, ahh hes staring at me now lol
can i post pictures? how do i do it? i want you all to see him hehe

1 - 20 of 46 Posts