Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A grey & white tabby kitten (about 7 or 8 months not quite a year) "adopted" me about 3 weeks ago while I was doing front yard work. I fed it and since then she's been around but prefers the outdoors. I would keep her in at night in our garage because our other 2 cats haven't adjusted to her yet. Especially with one of our cats (Harley) being as sick as he is, I didn't want him near her until I decided what to this stray. When I got the OK from my husband I took "Kimmie" to a nearby vet to have her checked out and get the necessary vaccinations. I was so happy she was tested negative for the FIV & Luekemia. That meant I was going to keep her. I was going to schedule her for the spaying for this weekend. Here's the problem...Kimmie is not herself today. In the morning she was fine but didn't like me to touch her or hold her. I had been able to do it before but not for real long. So she was out most of the day today but came in at her usual time for dinner. I went to pick her up like I usually do and she bit down on my finger hard enough to draw blood. She's bitten before but playfully and lightly. She's fearful and aggressive. Is it because of the vaccinations? Is the behavior different for vaccinations for outdoor (feral type) cats? My other 2 cats were just kittens when I got them and I don't remember them being like this?! I would tap the food bowl and Kimmie would come to it. Now she is under the car trying to swipe me as she growls. I thought it was a different cat at first but she knows her name. Now my husband wnats to get rid of her because she's definitely flipped.

Anybody experience this? Dr. Jean can you shed some light on this behavior or point me to any of your articles?

p.s. Do I need to get a tetanus shot even though she's been vaccincated? The vets office are closed right now.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've read here on this forum previously of someone taking a stray or feral cat into the vet and after that they started kinda being mean and not coming around as much. Basically, she may associate you now with going to the vet vs. just sitting around outside and living nice and free. I'm not sure what to say to help you but of course with time and patience and keeping your cat indoors would be the safest for everyone. Do you still have this kitty :?:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the vet and told them what happened to me. They recommended I still shoud get checked out the doctor. My doctor says I was fine since I had a tetanus 3 years ago and to watch for swelling, puss or a fever in the next 12 hours. I was fine through the weekend. The vet said that Kimmine will come around to herself - and she did slowly. I still would let her in the garage so she can sleep in her garage and feed her. She has a routine now. So after convincing my husband to keep her he said to get her spayed and we can keep her. Which was pretty surprising since Kimmine bit him several times the day she got her shots. Tomorrow she gets spayed and I'm a little worried how she will be after that? If the vaccinations made her aggressive and untrusting, how much more for the spaying? Any suggestions how to prepare for her? Since she is slightly older about 7-8 months I don't know what to expect. As I mentioned before my other 2 cats were only 6-7 WEEKS when they were nuetered and spayed and they recovered just fine considering they had just the very basic spaying procedures done. Thanks for any advise or insight you can offer and thank Kit-Kat for your response.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kit Kat: Thanks for responding and sorry itts been a while since I updated this different post on this kitten stray, Kimmie and the vaccination reaction. Well...happy to say we still have her and she....is....a....LOVE. Probably got her at good stage/age in spite of the reaction to her kitty vaccination. I can hold her as long as I want without her growling or scratching. She's quite attached and follows me everywhere and cries when she can't find me. Still prefers the outdoors but she's back in less than an hour. Only thing I'm dealing with now is the incompatibility with our resident 6 year old, Siamese mix cat, Ka'ana. In doors, they have their own rooms. I have to take turns letting them out to run around the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts