Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I don't get to visit here much and have only posted a few times. But we have a problem. On Memorial Day we (husban Tom, Sister-in-law Patricia and in-laws) found a stray kitty in their yard. He had flys all over him, wasn't using his back legs and eyes were very dialated. We thoght he had been hit by a car. We caught him in a box and took him to the ER vet, we thought just to do the humane thing and have him PTS. Come to find out nothing is broken, has nothing contagious (although still observing in case of Rabies since we were told there was only one way to test for it ie. cutting the head off), and his blood work came back suprisingly well. Has a high sugar level and high liver enzymes. Also very dehyrated. They combed fly eggs off him by the hand fulls and treated his fleas with capstar. He is hospitalized on fluids but here's our problem. He dosen't want to eat for the vets. He ate a little for us on Monday at the vets and drank a little but has only eaten a very little since then. He is still shakey on his feet but by the time we left Monday he was streching both front and back legs while laying on his side and trying to stand. Patricia and I are going over tonight to see him and see if a little TLC will get him to eat. I'm taking three differnt kinds of cat food, baby food (chiken, turkey, beef) and tuna fish. Someone told me they had great success with McDonalds chicken nuggets so we are going to pick some up on the way. Any other suggestions? Oh, I forgot to tell you what he looks like. He is solid black, medium length fur, 5-7 years old and NUTERED. We named him ShadowHe is a sweet cat. We hope to get him healthy and hope my in-laws will take him. If not we will find him a home. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me and say a prayer for Shadow.

Trish Neary

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Tuna is bad for cats. Although, kitty not eating means u should try just about anything to get food in him/her! I'd buy small cans of several brands of wet food and try each of them. Give him a variety of choice. Good luck for kitty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tune is going along as a last resort. When he ate for us on Monday it was turkey baby food so I'm hopeing with some TLC he'll eat that again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's eating

We went to visit Shadow tonight and he's eating :D . They found no sugar in the urine and his liver enzymes seem to be coming down. He gets to come "home" to my in-laws tomorrow night. He loves to be petted and head butts you if you stop.Now he just needs to get some weight on his bones and worm his way into my in-laws hearts :wink:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Excellent news! Just be sure to give him a steady diet so he doesn't get to used to food, if you know what I mean ;)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Great job for taking this poor kitty in. I hope he worms his way into your in-laws hearts too. Let us know if they keep him :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts