Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm MorningTide. Posting here on behalf of a friend. This is in the UK.
A stray cat (she's unsure whether it's owned or feral) has started hanging around her house and will sit on their bin which is by their front door. She assumes the cat has fleas because it's constant scratching. Shortly after it appeared, her dog got fleas and she's had to fork out for constant treatment because the cat won't stop hanging around. They've had to thoroughly clean their house several times and hot wash all clothing. My friend got bitten by fleas and developed a severe rash and she's more prone to infections caused by things like this.
They currently feel trapped in their home because the cat hangs around their front door and it provides a problem for my friend as she works at the hospital and she's scared of catching fleas and spreading it to her patients without realising.
She's contacted the RSPCA but they won't do anything. She's tried finding an owner with no luck.

Any ideas what she can do?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I'm surprised that the RSPCA won't do anything. So it's up to her....suggest she make an appt. with a vet to get the fleas removed, and there's is medication that can prevent further fleas. She should get/borrow a cat carrier to take it to the vet. Or, your friend could do it herself with a fine-toothed flea comb. It may take a little longer to get rid of them, but if she does it every day, she will. If she gives the cats food/treats after the combing, etc., the cat will likely be more compliant. Depending on the cat's temperament she may have to do it slowly and a little at a time to work up to combing the entire coat. It's will be a lot easier if the cat is shorthair, but if it's longhair with matted hair she may have to have the vet do it, or possibly a groomer is another option.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi there,

Has your friend ever tried to touch the cat to see if kitty is friendly? If she's leery about trying to get kitty into a carrier, but kitty will tolerate touching, she could get a standard flea treatment that you apply between the shoulder blades.

If not, food-grade diatomaceous earth kills fleas by drying them out but isn't harmful as long as it's food-grade and not inhaled (it is quite dusty). Spreading that around (carefully - it's a very fine powder that creates dust if you're not gentle with it) any places where kitty lounges around, all upholstered surfaces, around floorboards, window sills, door jambs, etc. will help to keep fleas away.

Some people do take a little bit and rub it into their cats' fur. Personally, I'm not comfortable with that, and when I used it on rugs, I kept my kitties away until I vacuumed it up the next day.

Poor kitty is probably pretty miserable, and fleas can cause anemia, so I hope that your friend is able to get some help for the kitty as well as herself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts