Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We found a stray kitten thursday. We immediatly took her to the vet before we brought her around our other cats. She is severly underweight. She also seems to have something neurologically wrong with her. She leans to the right and if she shakes her head she falls over. She is over 6 months old according to the vet. He says she has all her adult teeth. She only weighed 4.2 lbs. The vet only gave her kitten shots even though she is over 6 months old because she was just not in good enough shape for a whole lot. She was tested for leukemia and aids and tested negative. She was also treated with revolution. We are keeping her crated so she doesn't hurt herself by losing her balance and falling and hitting her head. We get her frequently and play with her. We are keeping her away from our other cats for now. She is extremely friendly and very cuddly. The vet checked for an ear infection and ear mites and couldn't find anything. He said she might have eaten a green beetle or a from. The poor kitten is so thin you can see all her bones. She is eating a whole can of canned food every day and all the dry she wants. She goes back to the vet in one month for her second shots, rabies shot and to be spayed.
Has anyone ever had a cat with very poor balance before? She leans to the right all the time and will stagger and sometimes fall over when she walks.
Would appreciate it if anybody has any suggestions as what to look for or past experience with beetles or frogs. Not sure what happened to her but would love to have hope for her future.
Her name is Destiny.
Thanks!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I've never had a cat exhibit those symptoms, but in gerbils, it is usually indicative of either an ear infection or a cyst in the ear. Ears cysts are very common in gerbils, but I would think an ear infection would be the more likely cause in your cat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet has said she doesn't have an ear infection. We are going to keep a look out for an infection that just hasn't developed fully yet.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My girlfriend had a cat growing up that became sick from eating some sort of lizard. The cat was off balance like you are talking about and his head would be tilted to one side. You may want to ask your vet if this is a possibility. Her cat would get bouts of sickness and that was the only time he exhibited these symptoms. Once better he could walk okay. But he eventually died from it. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there some kind of test that could show if the cat ate something she shouldn't have? We don't know what she ate before thursday.
Did her cat act completely normal ever again?

·
Registered
676 Posts
cybeeb: This is a rather complicated matter. I have seen many cats and dogs like this, and rodents as well. I would suggest getting a referal from your vet to have her head scaned and look for anything such as fluid build up around the brain.
Also if she ever had a bad case of something like an ear infection when she was younger, this can also cause this unfortunatly.
In rodents a normal technique is to give certain antibiotics to see if he helps. However I do not know if this is practiced in cats.

No there is not tests to show if she ate something like a but or lizard etc.
My thought is that she will probably be like this for the rest of her life. However, depending on the cause of this will also depend on how long she will live.
Keep a good eye on her at home, support her, make sure there are no dangerous objects she could fall on or hit her head on anything. I will take a look in one of my medical books to see if I can find anything else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
cybeeb said:
Did her cat act completely normal ever again?
He was normal most of the time. But he would get bouts of sickness where he would act the way you were talking about. The bouts gradually got worse until the point where it was so bad that with one bout he died.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then we can only hope and pray that this is something temporary. Hopefully she will get better and live a long productive life. We hope to be able to integrate her with our other cats in a few weeks. If she has to live alone it would be hard to give her up and find a home for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts