Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this male stray cat that I have been feeding the last month or so. I took pity on him because he was skinny and had "battle wounds". His right ear looks like it might have nerve damage or something because it does not stand upright. His other ear's edges are also jagged but healed over. However, today I noticed a new open (slightly bleeding) wound right in the middle of head. How can I help this poor cat? Is there some kind of pill that I can grind up to put in the food? I can get close to him but not close enough to put any ointment or creme. I'm also thinking of taking him to the no-kill shelter which is over an hour away but will they take an injured stray?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So good of you to care so much for this little guy. I suggest that you call the shelter and ask about their policy on taking in sick/injured strays - I know my new kitty was brought to the shelter where we adopted him with fleas, ear mites, and a huge abcess near the base of his tail. They have a rotation of local vets who volunteer their time to care for all the shelter critters, and he was treated there for all of that.

The wound on his head could be (or develop into) an abcess - if so, it should be checked by a vet. My cat was put on antibiotics for his abcess and we were given instructions to do warm compresses. It may be in his best interest to be brought to the shelter - they will be able to treat his injuries and get him meds, if needed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ospunkyo. I will give them a call on Monday and will post how the process worked out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts