Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a stray who is pretty mean but sometimes kind of cute gets fed by us and just hangs around our backyard. Anyways, we want to check her for a chip and see if she belongs to someone. Before we do that though, is there a way to get a stray treated for free at like a shelter or humane society or something because she got her rear hurt pretty bad in a fight. It happened 3 or 4 weeks back and it's healing nicely but I've seen another cat walking around and our stray seems pretty scared. What do I do if she gets hurt worse or her wound gets infected? Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or something this is my second post.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When two cats are fighting, and one tries to escape, the other cat may bite them in the hindquarters. She will also lick her wound, so it's pretty likely that it is or will get infected. Cats carry a lot of bad bacteria in their mouths. As for getting her treated for free. You could give her in a no-kill animal shelter, where they could take her to the vet, then find her a good home. As for the other cat, they may get into a fight. It's not very likely for a female to get into fights. Will she let you pet her?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not look infected at all but I will send you some pictures just in case (also would you be able to tell if it is infected by looking at it or is it sometimes not visible). Also, if it doesn't get infected or she doesn't get a more serious injury would it be humane to keep her around? I just know I would miss her so much if she left but I also want her to be happy. She seems pretty happy when we are around but I also know it would be better for her to be able to play inside and get extra cuddles because her owner isn't allergic like me and my mom and my dad are and they won't have to take a shower every time she gives them cuddles (my brother doesn't like her so he won't give her cuddles). Also she does let me pet her.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here's a link to a site about animal bites, and symptoms of infected bite wounds. Animal Bite Infections: Definition and Patient Education. Sometimes you can tell by looking at it. I'll try. Does she feel warm? Try putting some triple antibiotic ointment on it, if she'll let you. She has an owner? No, it wouldn't be inhumane to keep her around, unless she has an owner. Does her owner feed her? It's not very likely for her to get hurt again. Is she spayed? Is your backyard fenced in, by any chance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if she is spayed but probably not. I'm going to try and send pictures of her injury. She doesn't have an owner I was talking about her future owner if we gave her to a shelter but I was being really confusing. The backyard its fenced in but with cinderblock walls that she easily climbs (she spends most of her time not in our yard).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh, okay! I understand now. If she isn't spayed, feral and stray males will come to your house. If you want to keep her around, that's fine. I don't think she'll get hurt again. Some cats don't need or want a lot of attention. How often is she at your house? Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lately she has been sleeping on one of our chairs for most of the day and then going around a little at night. I couldn't get the pictures last night because homework but I'll try to get some during lunch. Also I don't think I've seen any males come by which is weird because she has been here for 8 or so months but we are pretty sure she was in heat when she came here (she was meowing nonstop for like 3 days).

·
Registered
483 Posts
If no males are coming around, she could be spayed. She should have a tattoo on her stomach, if she is. Her meowing could have been caused by something else, or there may not be any intact males in the area, (which isn't likely.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also, look to see if she has a clipped ear tip. If so, that means she's been through TNR (Trap Neuter Release) as a feral. If so, you can adopt her, but don't take her to the shelter unless she needs medical attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that's pretty helpful I'll go check her ears now. The question I was asking (really really confusingly (I know that isn't a word)) was "Is it ok to keep her around if she has to stay outside and we can't cuddle her that much since we are all allergic?".

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok, that's pretty helpful I'll go check her ears now. The question I was asking (really really confusingly (I know that isn't a word)) was "Is it ok to keep her around if she has to stay outside and we can't cuddle her that much since we are all allergic?".
Yes, it's okay to keep her around, I'd get her spayed though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, it's ok to keep her around. Absolutely, get her spayed as soon as possible.

Go to youtube and watch the video "All You Need To Know About Cat Allergies" by Jackson Galaxy. It's packed with useful information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
We kind of just keep her around and my parents won't get her spayed because we don't actually own her and they don't want to pay if we could just give her to a shelter :(.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mom thinks she might have been abandoned by her owner so she might have been spayed without the ear being clipped but now I don't know how to find the tattoo since she has really dark fur.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When our cat Belle was spayed, no tattoo was applied. She does have a scar. Look to see if your cat has a scar.

A trip to the vet will answer the question definitively.

Did you check out the video about cat allergies?

·
Registered
483 Posts
We kind of just keep her around and my parents won't get her spayed because we don't actually own her and they don't want to pay if we could just give her to a shelter :(.
I understand. Maybe you could look into a low cost spay and neuter clinic.
My mom thinks she might have been abandoned by her owner so she might have been spayed without the ear being clipped but now I don't know how to find the tattoo since she has really dark fur.
Yes, it's pretty likely for her to already be spayed. Here's what the tattoo should look like:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thank you, but do you just mean spay/neuter clinics that cost less or are there specific ones that cost much less. Also I know what the tattoo looks like but isn't it hard to find if they have grey or black fur? How do you find it then?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Low cost spay and neuter clinics cost less than getting it done at the vet. Look up low cost spay and neuter clinics near you, and see what you find.

As for finding a spay tattoo. Pull back the fur near the incision site, and see if you see anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts