Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cat Hello Everyone. First let me start by saying that I am a big fan of taking in needy and helpless animals. I have a few pets today that are still with me that have been "throw away" pets and they live warm and comfortable lives now.

Over the last few months in 2010 I had noticed this beautiful white kitty hanging out around my neighborhood. She had been eating whatever she could get and seemed to really enjoy dining in our recycling bins. She was very friendly and seemed to be making friends with other people in the neighborhood, getting free food and what not. Well anyway, I started to lay out food for her aswell, since I could not stand to watch her lick the cans out of my recycling bins anymore. Upon closer inspection I noticed she had very bad frost bite damage on the tips of her ears, nose and had a eye infection. I placed a box filled with blankets out on the front porch for her to lay in, and waited to see if we would find her in it. Sure enough, one rainy night she had made herself a warm bed in that box. I decided that I was going to bring her in and give her the home she deserved.

Well the next step was a trip to the vet, which we got a good report on the new Kitty. The said she was likely around 3-5 years old, and her tests came back normal. I gave her a safe room, where she has made her very own. For the first few days she slept alot, which I expected. I noticed she was fully litter box trained so that was great. I tried to get her to play toys, but she does not understand them at all. However, I cut off a tie off the inside of my housecoat that she really enjoys us playing with. It has been a little over a month since bringing her in, she is still adjusting in her own time. I am able to leave the door open for her but she will stay in her room regardless.

The more time I spend with her the more things I notice. Today she had a appointment at the vets to get her nails trimmed, the told me that they were very brittle. Likely because of her previous life outdoors. When I got home I was looking at her back paws... they look very rough. As if the frost got to those too. She walks lightly and I am guessing that is the reason. My heart goes out to her. I have never seen this before. I am wondering if there is something I could do for her poor paws. I have been putting pollysporin on her ears to help heal them but what about her feet?? And touching them could get me scratched!! Well that is my introduction, I thought I would give the whole story :). Thank- you for having us!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi! It's wonderful that you were able to give the ktty a home. Do you have a name for her yet? I'm afraid I don't have any advice for the feet since I have never seen that before either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when it came to giving her a name the only thing that came to mind was "Tippy"... because of her little ears. I mostly call her Kitty though, my roomate thinks I should call her Gypsy, that is a nice name too but I really have not given her a permanent name yet.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I'm so glad to read your story of rescuing Tippy. Poor girl, she really needed someone like you to help her and not have anymore frostbite. I hope her feet heal up in the warmth of your home!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) Thank you all for your kind words, I did take Tippy to the vet and they did not notice her feet at that time. I too wondered if there was something I could use on her poor dry paw pads as they look really sore. She walks lightly and I have noticed pieces of scabing in her bedding. They are not bleeding though. She sometimes tries to chew her feet abit. I mentioned using polysporin ointment on her ears and they did not object to that product. As for her little nose, that was not so badly damaged as her ears or her paws, and seems to have healed on it's own just being in a nice warm place. Her room is carpeted, with carpet she can knit up if she likes. My hubby built her a scratch post, and she uses that too abit. She mostly just likes to sleep and eat and play string with me.

She was limping though one evening after a scratching session on her new post, and I thought maybe she got caught up on a staple or the carpet itself and got all worried, I re-inspected the cat post to make sure it was safe for her and did find a few loose staples :?, I felt so bad... I called the vet and they told me to keep an eye on it and make sure she was not all swollen or bleeding or not walking on it. Two days went by and she was back to herself again. I still feel bad for that.

She seemes to be doing good though, I have been trying to get her used to the other pets I have in the home. It is a slow going prosess but I am willing to wait it out with her. She won't leave her room much, except to come wait in the hall for her daily feeding. I have a small chihuahua mix (around 13 lbs) who I have been trying to introduce Tippy too, she seems to tolerate the dogs presence, but does not want her too close. I have them in their own rooms though so that everyone can be safe. She is a sweet little thing, really pretty too. She has a beautiful white long hair coat with a few black patches, and a tail that reminds me of that of a racoons, very unique! I am not sure how to post pictures yet or know if I can on a free account, but I would love for you all too see her!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts