Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a major stressor in my life and I had to sell my home that I lived at for over 10 years and move out of state. My cats were indoor/outdoor cats in that home. The one cat liked to be outdoors more then then the other. We lived on a cul de sac and the one cat rommed the neighborhood, but she mostly stayed in the backyard. I got a divorce and had to move out of state. The only place I can afford right now is with my daughter's family in there big huge basement. They have 3 noisy dogs upstairs and they have enginered woods floors. Very noisy with barking and running on the floors. My cats are not use to all that noise. But I am lucky to have a place to live. My question is about the basement and no access for my cats to go outside at all unless I carry them in cat carriers. The basement has these stupid window well windows that you can not look outside. They are too deep and they only let light in. Whoever design those windows---very stupid. Anyway, my daughter let me bring the cats but she is a dog lover and doesn't really want the cats upstairs and my cats are not use to dogs at all. I have tried to introduce them but they want to chase the cats and cause terror. It's a no go. I am worried my cats are in depression because they can not look out windows. So I bought a catio and built it for them outside, but I can't use it till spring and I will have to sit with them while they are in it so the dogs don't terrrioize them. My daughter does not care to train her dogs to stay away from my cats but they don't come down to the basement very much. I turn on youtube tv for bird videos for my cats, I have a huge cat tree for them. I sleep downstairs with them. I pretty much stay downstairs with them as much as possible. Will they be alright? Am I worrying too much about not being able to get out side like they used to. They are not leashed trained or anything like that. I want to train them, but they get so scared when I put on the harnesses. I am just wondering if they will get used to the basement after awhile and not be super depressed. When it is spring and summer I will take them outside as much as possible and try to train their dogs to stay away from my cats. My cats are older around 10 or 11, but they act so young still, even though now they are not as active because of our move and being here. I hope I am not doing undue worrying and they will be okay. Thanks for any advice. I love them lots and want them to be as happy as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
Your cats will be just fine.
How do I know this? Because I can tell that you are an excellent cat owner and will make sure they are fine.

The truth is that is is so dangerous to let cats go outside in most places that it is far better for them to have a catio and never roam on their own. Most cats don't get a catio. But those who do generally love it, and it satisfies their desire to be outside with all the smells and views of birds and so on. If you cats complain about not going outside, take heart because they will adjust to their new life, just as you have to do. How do I know? I have had to do the same thing, and my cat adjusted. Eventually I stopped letting any cat of mine go outside because they will live longer lives if kept in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mosi,
Thank you so much for your reply. My heart just melted when I read your post. I appreciate all your kind words. I was worried so much about how they couldn't go outside and smell the outdoors, and watch the birds and feel the wind through their fur and the sun on their faces. I did worry (when we lived in the house) when my kitty Harley wouldn't come home when I called sometimes and I did think something might get hurt or a mean person capture her, so that worry is gone. I am very excited to use the catio very soon. It will be fun to sit outside in the sun and shade and listen to the birds and other outdoor sounds. Thank you again for your wonderful reply.
Cindy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts