Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitty seems to be quite stressed at the moment, she has seemed a bit on edge for the last few days. We adopted her just over a week ago and she was really affectionate for the first few days and seemed to settle in well, but for the last few days she didn't really want to be petted as much anymore. She keeps running around like crazy and trying to scratch our curtains and my plants near the window, and trying to get onto shelves that are way too high for her, or onto surfaces that are off limits (kitchen counters, television etc.) so we have to tell her off. I ordered a Feliway plugin and spray this morning and I hope that will help, but is there anything else I can do to help her relax until that arrives? She has toys and scratching opportunities and gets a couple of hours of attention and playtime every day, so we're not sure what we're doing wrong. We do both work full-time, but I go home for lunch so she's never really by herself for more than 4 hours at a time. She's confined to the hallway and bathroom while we're out and over night (at least until she's settled in properly), but usually has full access to the apartment in the evening.

·
Registered
353 Posts
She's a kitten! Considering her limited access to the rest of the house during the times youre gone, she's doing all of her exploring while she can. She's probably gaining confidence and wanting to figure what everything is and what she can get away with.

I typically leave my bedroom door closed unless I'm home. I've had my kitten for 2 and a half months and he still makes a beeline for my bedroom as soon as it's open. It doesn't smell like him. It's still new territory.

It sounds like she likes to climb - I'd make sure there are high spaces that ARE ok for her to use (cat tree, safe shelving, etc). Please make sure your plants aren't poisonous to cats as many are. I don't think feliway is the answer though. Based on what you described, she doesn't seem stressed, and you don't seem like you're doing anything wrong. If anything it's the opposite! You're stressed, and she's being a normal playful mischievous kitten.

·
Banned
603 Posts
It doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong. Your kitty is now feeling comfortable enough with you that its exploring everything. Sometimes thats not the proper way to us but she is just following instinct. Do you have something vertical she can clim, like a cat tree or play center. It doesnt have to be expensive for her to like. Mine have a carpeted play center. It gives lots of oppertunities to climb using claws on it instead of furniture and keeping them hopping until they have worn themselves out.

My Mia was a very affectionate kitten until she was about 4 months old. Then she suddeenly was extremely busy all the time and didnt want to cuddle except on her turms. She started cuddling more the last few months (13 months now) and especially sence the new kitten came 2 weeks ago. We have Mommy and Mia time early in the morning while I have coffee and after a 1/2 hour we get the kitten out of his crate. It is more than likely a faze your kitty is going through. I've heard others here talk about it too. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks :) She's not actually a kitten anymore (we were told she's about 2 years old), but she does still seem a bit like one. When she runs around crazily, her ears are back against her head and she does look scared/stressed to me, but maybe I'm wrong. She has a climbing tree in the hallway that she always has access to, but she doesn't really climb on it, she just sleeps in the den that's attached to it. Our shelves seem a lot more interesting to her. They are too high for her though, I'm not sure she'd be able to get back down without hurting herself.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
When we got our then-2-year old cat from the shelter, he wasn't out of his carrier at home for half an hour before we found him on top of the kitchen cabinets. I think they're just excited and want to check everything out. I think I'd let her explore the whole house -- maybe she'll find a great perch at a window that will help her stay entertained.

·
Banned
198 Posts
She is just getting used to the environment! I adopted Artie 4 months ago. I was lucky cuz he bonded with me immediately--needed someone to love...
He still, occasionally runs around and looks stressed---noises bother him...I live in an apartment building...he is not used to the noise---
Give the kitty time and love..it will work out..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, I feel a lot better about it now. I think sudden noise could be an issue sometimes as well. I live in an apartment building and while it's mostly quiet enough, she tends to get a bit startled if she can hear neighbours on the balcony or a loud motorbike going past. I mostly kept her in the hallway yesterday and gave her lots of attention and she seemed a bit more relaxed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just brought home a new foster cat this week and he was showing a lot of the same signs yours is. The guy would just not sit still. He constantly was moving from one thing to the other, smelling, climbing, general observing. Each cat has their own threshold for stress, it sounds like yours may take a little while longer to adjust to the new surroundings.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have found that some cats have sharper hearing and are bothered by electronic "noise." Could there be a transformer or some other machine making noise that to the cat is like nails on a blackboard? My Ruby did some frantic running around for a while because of some noise outside our house. I never did pin point it but either the neighbor fixed his/her car engine or Ruby got used to it. (The ears laid back was my clue to turn on the music; it seemed to help her.) Pippi runs around like mad, too, but definitely doesn't seem stressed the way Ruby was and the way you describe your cat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts