1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Interesting article, Fran, thanks!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Thanks for sharing this article....it's very interesting and informative.
As an ex-breeder of 15 yrs. I followed most of the guidelines----regular meals at same time, clean litter boxes, adequate cat trees, etc.----because I learned that my cats thrived. They rarely had illnesses---a female got pyometra once after a litter, one neuter had 2 bouts of cystitis, a few cats I imported came with giardia, coccidiosis, fleas or ear mites.

I did find that if I let the number of cats get beyond 8 adults that there was more fighting, more stress and one female in particular expressed her stress by overgrooming to baldness on her tummy and insides of her back legs. Later in her life when I had retired from breeding and only kept her and 3 other girls, she stopped overgrooming and her coat came back in. Those four girls I kept lived into their late teens. Now, I have two (Devon Rex) but maintain same routine I did when breeding. I keep them indoors. I've had them from time they were 4 mos. old and they're 6 y.o. now and have never been sick with anything. Only had one litter box accident when I changed the litter from clumping clay to Swheat Scoop and my girl didn't like it, but when I went back to the clay she's fine. In summer they enjoy rides in the pet stroller for a change of scene, but are always happy to get back home. It may seem like a boring life for them, but they're happy cats and thrive on the routine, and are very interested in everything that's going on inside the house and want to be involved in all my activities.
:2kitties :kittyball

1 - 5 of 5 Posts