Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pipsqueek is a 12 year old diabetic. He has been on insulin for about a year and half. While his BG levels haven't been perfect, its mostly been within normal.

Today, he's had a bad day. The township was doing loud roadwork right in front of my house. And he hid till after noon. Normally he gets his first injection around 9AM. At noon I got him to eat about 1.5 oz of canned food. He went straight into hiding. He finally came out around 8PM.

Even tho he hasn't eaten since noon, his BG is really high (375) I know its a reaction to the stress. He also isn't keeping anything down. Even water is coming back up. I gave him 1/4 famotidine pill that my vet had suggested in the past...that stopped the puking. But I can't get him to eat. And I'm nervous about giving his evening injection if he doesn't eat.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about some tuna.

Thanks!
Sandy

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
It'd probably be best to call an ER vet for advice, but if he were my cat, I would not administer insulin until and unless he eats. Hyperglycemia won't kill him immediately, but severe hypoglycemia could. If you can get him to eat tuna, meat (raw or cooked), baby food meat, or anything else reasonably healthy, do it. Once you get a decent meal into him, it should be safe to give him insulin.

Laurie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, he's not going to get insulin till he eats. I'm just wondering if anyone had a suggestion to tempt him. He ate a few bites of his nighttime meal...but not enough for insulin.

Sandy

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
If you haven't already tried these strategies, try warming his food (assuming it's canned food) in the microwave for a few seconds to bring out its aroma strongly. Lots of cats also love to lap up "canned food soup" (canned food mixed with warm water to a gruel consistency).

If you can't get him eating, try just sitting with him and soothing him to calm his nerves. That will probably help bring down his BG even without insulin. If he's more the active type and you can tempt him into active play, that can also de-stress and bring down BG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. You also helped calm me down. I'm happy to say Pip is doing great today.
Last night I pulled out some sole I had in a restaurant doggy bag. I warmed it up in the microwave and hand fed it to him. I had tried it cold earlier and he spit it out. I gave him half the normal injection of insulin, just in case.
This morning, he's asking for enough food for 3 cats....of course he's not getting it. But I am adding a little extra protien, just to keep him happy.

Thanks again,
Sandy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts