Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my mom's cat suffered radial nerve damage. The vet thinks he had a seizure or a stroke and swelling on the brain caused the nerve damage. He is expected to get better, but it is aweful to see him limp around on three legs.

I just found out that my sister's cat recently had the same thing. They both appeared limping with one front paw kind of flopped over and unable to put full weight on the paw. My sister had blood work done, but it didn't show anything unusual -- no diseases or sickness that would have caused this kind of injury.

Neither cat seems to be in any pain from it. I am wondering what happened to cause this.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
radial nerve

Radial nerve damage is unlikely to occur as the result of a problem in the brain. A central (brain or spinal cord) problem would affect *all* the nerves in that limb. Radial nerve paralysis usually results from direct trauma to the nerve, such as being hit by a car.

There aren't any rotten little kids around that might be playing "kick the cat," are there? Seems awfully strange to have 2 cats in the same family suffer such similar injuries...

The homeopathic remedy Hypericum is a good one to consider for nerve damage cases.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where to get hypericum

Thanks for replying!

Yes, in fact there are small children in my mom's house and my mom did suspect that it was really a physical injury and not a seizure or stroke.

Where can I get hypericum? Should I ask my vet for it? He prescribed a steroid and CJ does seem to we walking on the paw better after the first few doses.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My cat, Thunder, had that happen to him. He came home on my 13th birthday unable to use his front-left leg. The vet suspected that either he got his paw caught in something, and forced it out - damaging the nerve. Or had some kids torment him. We left his leg alone for about 3 weeks.. It had to be amputated after that though. His leg did not improve, and him dragging it around caused it to tear his flesh, so we feared for an infection.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
hypericum

You can usually find remedies at health food stores; or you can get them online. Unless your vet is a homeopath it is not something he's likely to have on hand.

Health food stores have homeopathics in low potencies up to 30c; for an acute injury like this, you'd usually give 1 dose (a few pellets) every 12 hours for 3 doses. You can order a high potency like 1M, and give just one dose, one time. Hypericum is good for any nerve injury including spinal cord.

I get my remedies from www.a2zhomeopathy.com in Santa Fe. They make their own remedies and are very reliable, as well as being nice people.

Homeopathics are very inexpensive and work great, especially for trauma and other emergencies.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Thanks for the information. I will pass this on to my mom and sisters. I am also going to research holistic veterinary medicine. I am looking for a new vet for my cats so I really do appreciate the information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts