Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have two healthy happy kitties who have had a normal smelling litter pan for as long as i have had them. about two weeks ago, i noticed the litter pans smelled so strongly of ammonia it about burned out my nose hairs. i haven't changed anything in their diet, and they appear healthy as can be. the only thing i can think is that i did introduce a new flavor into their AM wet food treat... that flavor being fish. could the fish be causing an irritation in one of their urinary tracts?

ps: i feed them DVP natural balance... a high quality food.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey i googled this topic and found it on the purina one site. here is the question and answer:
http://www.purinaone.com/online_vet_cat ... ser=2#8161

I have a 3 yr old cat who is neutered, and just getting over a urinary tract infection. However his urine is starting to have a strong Ammonia smell... What causes the ammonia scent?? If the urine has a strong odor, the infection may have returned. It also may mean that his urine is very concentrated. It may help to try and encourage him to take in more liquid. Feeding some wet food might help. Other cats like water that is moving and very fresh and enjoy a drinking fountain type of waterer. If the urine odor remains, a veterinary visit is needed to rule out another infection and seek appropriate medication for treatment. treatment.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cat urine is normally full of ammonia.

If you haven't ever completely dumped and changed the box, it may be that the cat box needs to be *thoroughly* cleaned with soap and water. Used litter loses its ability to absorb odors after a while, and the odors can even seep into the plastic.

Fish flavors can be problematic for a lot of cats, I usually avoid them other than as a very occasional treat.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i stopped feeding the fish flavor and the ammonia smell has diminished. it just had never, ever been that strong. i usually clean out their boxes once a week with vinegar and water. maybe i should use some cleanser this week... and i guess no more fish stuff for my girls! :wink:

thanks...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts