Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm sure you all know but I'll review anyway!

I have 2 cats, Kitty (10 years old) and Thomas (1 year old). They are both neutered/spayed. Kitty does not have her front claws, but Thomas has all his claws.

Thomas has been trying to exert dominance over Kitty since I got him (it used to be funny to watch my Kitty at 12 lbs fleeing from 2 lbs Thomas). It's not funny anymore.

He attacks her, keeps her off my bed (but he doesn't stay there, just chases her away), sprays in the litterbox (it's covered, but I don't appreciate the pee running down the insides), and tries to bite her neck.

I know they like each other (they groom each other occasionally)....but I just want peace in my house.

Is there some way I can let Thomas know he is NOT top cat? I've tried putting him in the bathroom alone when he attacks Kitty. I've tried squirting him with water when he attacks (unfortunatly I get Kitty too and she's like..."WHAT?? I get attacked and sprayed with water?"), I make a loud noise (shout, clap hands) which scares Kitty to death and Thomas doesn't even notice. So does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've tried feliway, but not the diffusers, just the spray (Kitty hated it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dogs and cats

If a cat is anything like a dog in any way it seems to be in dominance. The main thing with any animal is not teaching it that its not the top but making sure it knows you are. Often animals will become dillusional if you are often on the floor or lower than they are when you play with them. Make sure you always have your face above Thomas's. as far as the spray bottle goes I find it more affective to spray some animals with thinner mist and go for whatever you can hit. Nobody says you have to hit them in the face even though it may be the most uncomfortabl for them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
In my experience, most of the dog-type dominance games aren't very effective with cats because they really don't care much if you think you're in charge, because their social structure is so mutable. Cats tend to be more concerned about personal space and location than social/pack ordering. The fact that the older cat has no front claws puts her at a further disadvantage, both physically and psychologically.

If you haven't already found a solution, you could try finding Kitty an inviolable space where Thomas can't go, and perhaps try to divert his attention to a more suitable cat toy when he gets rambunctious while allowing Kitty to escape to a safer spot. All easier said than done, especially if you only have two hands.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cat struggles are generally over territory more than dominance, although dominance can still be an issue.

Since Thomas seems to have nothing better to do, it's up to you to *provide* another channel for his energy and hunting drive. Try regular play therapy once or twice a day. That should help distract him and satisfy him without him having to beat up on Kitty. See:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012

Feliway and/or flower essences (www.spiritessence.com) can also be helpful for these kinds of problems.

Also, two cats require 2 litterboxes (or even 3) to prevent ambushes and a subsequent need by the victim to pee somewhere else....

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts