Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My kitten was neutered today and now that the anesthetic has worn off I'm having a really difficult time controlling her. Shes had a few outbursts of aggression tonight because I think the incision has been irritating her and she's been trying to get it. Unfortunately for her she has the ghastly cone on her head which is obviously stopping her from getting it, good for me. It's now 3:15am and there's no way I'm gonna be able to get to sleep as the cone she has isn't secure enough and I have nothing else to tighten it with, only the bandage the vet gave me. She has chill moments 15 minutes where she will lay down and dose off, but then she will get agitated and wake up, leading to her getting up and down restlessly stressed out. I don't know what to do to help her for now, but it's so bloody stressful! She's in distress, I'm in distress ? I just need people to talk to that probably understand my anxiety right now, it's bloody dreadful.

I've ordered one of those cat onesies and it's gonna be coming today, but something about it has really concerned me. Obviously it covers the wound so it's very unlikely the kitten could do damage via licking, but it's still only fabric and if she decided to start biting at it she could cause damage. I don't want to keep that cone on her as it's not helping her mood at all, but what alternative is there if she bites the wound on top of the onesie? Is it common for cats to bite at their incisions or is it usually just licking?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Poor kitty . . . poor you! If she's still feeling bad in the morning, I'd call the vet and see if they've got a pain medication she could take. I don't know why female cats aren't given that after surgery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's had her pain medication, which is why I think it's probably irritation, like itching :( I hope it's not pain, she's not exhibiting behaviours that signify she's in alot of pain. She's eaten a whole meal, she's walking fine, she's tried to play (though I stopped her), she's climbed on the sofa etc. When she goes for the incision it's to lick it, cause it's the same sudden movement she does when she gets an itch on her tail or something. What a nightmare. She's currently asleep next to me, I hope she can get some rest now. She was so exhausted earlier that she was falling asleep sitting up and falling over.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't expect the incision to itch so soon after surgery, but I could be totally wrong. I'd still call the vet to see if there's something you could put on the incision to keep it from bothering her so much. And make sure it doesn't feel hot or look red, which would indicate an infection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts