Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sinatra LOVES running water. He literally refuses to drink out of still water. We had a cheapy Whisker City fountain that leaked constantly that we wanted to throw out but Sinatra would cry and cry if we took it away. My mom got us a nice Drinkwell fountain for my birthday, that is very similar to his old one, and he won't drink out of it!! It has been out for three days, and I know he has gotten some water in him, but what should I do to get him used to it?

·
Banned
470 Posts
My two were scared of it for 30 mins, but then sipped away. Three days is a very long time to be skittish IMO.

1) It has a carbon filter in it, covered in carbon dust. Did you see the instructions where it mentions to run this under the sink for a while so you don't make the water taste funny?

2) Did you wash it before filling it? I just throw mine in the dishwasher, which seems to do a good job.

3) I ordered two from Amazon, and one of them had a CRAZY loud motor on it. Vibrated the whole thing. Returned it, and now the two I have are generally very very quiet.

If she got it from Petsmart, Walmart, or Amazon, they will take stuff back for almost any reason, used or not. If kitty just doesn't like the new fountain, I'd try this one instead:

Amazon.com: Cat Mate Pet Fountain: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Well now, there's a mind-bender! Perhaps the water flow is either too slow or too fast relative to the one he was used to. You can slow down or speed up the water flow on most Drinkwells, so perhaps try that. Alternatively, take it back and exchange it for another Whisker City?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my problem is that my mom got it for me for my birthday, and I don't think she kept the receipt. I would feel like poo getting rid of such a nice fountain.

Ducman, the carbon dust may actually be it. I have washed it multiple times trying to get rid of it but it is still getting in some places. We don't have a dishwasher so I can't run it through that. It is louder but I wouldn't know how to fix that.

Susan, I switched it to the lowest setting.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Maybe set the old one up next to the new for a little while. Then he could use the old one while he gets used to the new one.

·
Banned
470 Posts
A little dust is fine, its just when its brand-brand new its caked in carbon dust which can make the water taste funny.

If it ran for a while, and you dumped the water and put fresh in, thats more than enough and not the problem then.

The loudness for me was just a bad pump. Exchanging it was the fix. Most stores will let you exchange if you say the product came from there but you don't have a receipt since it was purchased as a gift. It all goes back to the manufacturer either way. :)

Odd, as that is a really popular model you were given.

The only other thing I can think of that my cats love is when I either fill the whole backside with ice so its super cold and/or put an icecube or two in the front drinking bowl with the water on max so they bounce around and make clinky noises.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We threw the other one out because it was so bad we could barely run it anymore. I honestly think he is just being stubborn. The Drinkwell and the Whisker City are almost exactly the same, one is just higher quality.

Ducman, Sinatra is scared of ice, haha.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still no fountain action. I did a scruff test on him and he seems hydrated. I can't imagine he is getting that much from the little wet food he eats, but he is getting water from somewhere. I just wish I knew how to get him to drink out of it!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Since he had reocurring urinary problems when I got him I add about 1/4 c of hot water to MowMow's canned food twice a day. It makes it a bit gruelish but now he won't eat it if I just jiggle it out of the can. He wants it soupy and likes it warm from the hot water added. Perhaps you could add a little water if you're very concerned.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am not too concerned as he isn't dehydrated. He could very well be drinking from it while I am not looking. I turned the fountain off, hoping that he will try it still.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts