Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about how extensively cats adopt stuffed animals. I know the Garfield comics portray Garfield as having a teddy bear he calls Pooky (I think).

My last two cats adopted little stuffed animals. My earlier cat, Merlin, took up with a little stuffed dog as his favorite stuffed toy. It didn't seem to have much more significance other than a wrestling partner. He'd tackle it, seemingly when he wanted to take his frustrations out on something. There were other little stuffed toys around, but that was the one he singled out.

My last cat, Rom, had a small teddy bear from the time he was a kitten until his death at twenty years. Rom and his teddy bear had a relationship that was a little difficult to understand. In the middle of the night sometimes we'd hear Rom Crying out as he wandered through the house. When we'd check on him, he would be carrying the teddy bear in his mouth and meowing at the same time. When he'd see us, he'd bring the bear to us, and lay it at our feet. Other times he'd bring it to us and drop it as if it was some sort of offering. We'd find it at his food dish at times, and nearly always wherever his current favorite sleeping place was. If he came to visit us late at night in our bed, he'd jump up there with the bear in his mouth. When he'd leave the bed after we fell asleep, he'd often leave his bear behind, I guess either to let the bear have someone to sleep with, or to give us a bear to sleep with.

Needless to say, a small teddy bear carried around by a cat for twenty years gets pretty well weather worn. We would attempt to replace it with an animal of about the same size, but Rom wouldn't have it. We found it once in his litter box; I guess he was really disciplining it that time for something. We ran it through the washer and dryer. Of course that put even more wear on it, and that's when we started trying to locate a replacement. No, only his little bear would do. The poor bear was missing much of his identifying features, but it must have appeared beautiful to him. When we buried Rom, we also buried his little teddy bear with him. It just seemed like the proper thing to do.

·
Registered
492 Posts

When we first captured baby Scooter from our backyard, we were unable to catch his mommy, Sophie, like we had originally planned. So the baby kitten was very scared and all by himself. I took my stuffed collie dog, Comet, and put my watch around its neck. I placed it in the cage with the kitten, who the first night was too scared to move :(

But after that first night, he was inseperable from the dog until he was allowed out of the cage to roam the house with the rest of the cats. I've since offered Scoot the company of Comet, but he doesn't seem to care. It's all right by me that he's weaned himself from the toy, because I still have several adorable pictures :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Empath, that story was so heartwarming. Like that of the Grinch, my heart grew several xizes while reading it. That little bear was beautiful to Rom. I'm glad he has it with him. My guess is that a young, lively Rom and a perfectly new teddy bear are playing together at the Rainbow Bridge.

Amber, I'm so glad you have those pictures. What a sweet memory!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
What a beautiful, touching story that was Empath.
Amber - your kitty looks like a little child. By seeing your picture I can imagine Rom with his teddy bear even better.
Heartwarming indeed

·
Registered
214 Posts
Beautiful story Empath... Gandalf just takes any stuffed animal in the house and drags it around

·
Registered
697 Posts
What a wonderful story Empath. I think my little cat will be much the same. He was only just 7 weeks when he got him, not in the greatest of health (his owner had no idea about kittens and had weaned then only on canned tuna and skimmed milk) My big soft hearted brother (who is sooo allergic to cats) came rushing round when I told him I'd brought my kitten home. Loaded with anti-histimene (for himself) and treats for the cat he brought my kittens favourite thing in the world, his toy cat. It was about the same size as him and he adopted it right away. It goes every where with him now, wherever he sleeps toy cat will be there. I've had to ash it a few times but my cat will hug it lovingly and lick it all over, giving it that irresistable soggy cat lick feel :D I hope they'll be around as long as your loving cat was.

·
Registered
672 Posts
faile said:
we have a stuffed cheetah that cujo likes to beat up, but other than that he ignores it. there's quite a hole ripped in the throat though. :shock:
HAHAHAHA! Well.....let's just call that a different kind of love....lol. :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
OH! That story was so sweet! Luxy goes thrugh phases with her toys. One week the 'white fuzzy mouse' was the hot item...the next week it'll be 'pink rope mouse'. I think she has a fear of getting too close to just one toy! LOL!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wonderul story. One cat that we had named Laughing Boy had a toy stuffed duck that he carried around and when he was sleeping he would hold like a teddy bear. It was one of the ugliest toys I think i ever saw, but LB loved it. And another cat had a loving relationship not with a stuffed toy, ut with a cigar wrapper! We could try to take it away from BC but we would never succeeed! (G.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts