Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got three new kittens at work - police officer found them and brought them in.

I want! I want! I want!!

I'm trying to convince my mother to let me foster them until they're aopted but so far no luck.

Two boys and a girl. Someone said they look like silverback gorillas, so we're trying to think of "monkey" themed names (jungle book, planet of the apes... of course nobody could think of anything).

Aren't they the prettiest things you've ever seen???

Now I'm sure the coat colors will change some as they grow, but would do you think they'd end up looking like? I'd hate to think something so unique would end up solid black.

·
Super Moderator
26,511 Posts
Cleo would like to know what's wrong with solid black? :?

(I'm explaining to her that you meant nothing personal, just hoping to keep some colors.) :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
oh wow, they are so unusual looking! *note to self, can't have one not allowed daizy and aramis both would kill me in my sleep* they are going to be beautiful! And a pat on the back to the cop that brought them in! Good luck with getting permission to foster them!

·
Registered
335 Posts
GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE!!!!!! I am squealing like a fool over here.... Andie would claw my eyes out if I got one.

Names? HHHmmm, I am thinking. Trying to think of monkey names or gorilla names. Darn... can't think

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its looking like a no go on the fostering :(

Then she started a small bargain with me for my birthday (its Friday) that I can have them all day on Sunday. I said the weekend would be better... you know, so they can have time to get used to Brody. Then she came to her senses and said no all together.

I get where she's coming from. But I also know they wouldn't be here long at all (I mean, I know the second I list them on petfinder we'll get a ton of calls) but she just doesn't want any more pets in the house.

And I didn't mean any disrespect at all to solid kitties! Just that with such pretty colors as kittens I would really hope they'd keep some of them as adults. Even if its just a faint smokey type coat.

The little girl has the coolest face, but its hard to see her markings in the pictures. I THINK she's the first single kitten picture, looking off to the left... but the boy has similar markings, just not as strong. I think both of the boys have the whtie toes though. I might be wrong.

Ugh. I just want to squeeze them all!

And they had to come from somewhere... they're a little nervous being at the clinic but are very social and easy to handle... screaming for attention.

My heart is melting!!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
They look like black Meezers! I bet they will be stunning when they are grown.

Jungle Book names:
Mowgli. Balou. Shere Khan. Bagheera. Kaa. Shanti.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I thought they looked like black meezers too. The kitten I found in the parking lot had a skunk stripe down his back in that silver gray color and the rest of him was black. A few weeks later, he was solid black. Their fur looks the same too, kinda kinky and feels different. I vote for solid black of very close to it, but I def. think they will get much darker.

They are ADORABLE. I've never seen kittens like that before.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Wow, what great coloring! They're adorable.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Horses have something similar in color, it is called Smoky Black.

Horses come in basically two colors: black (E) and red (e).
Black is dominant over red, so every red horse is genetically ee. A Black horse can be either EE or Ee. The Ee horse can have a red foal if bred to another horse with 'e'.
When Agouti (A or a) gets involved, it turns a black horse, bay. (Red body hair with black points; ear tips, muzzle, legs and mane/tail.) Agouti only 'works' on black horses by restricting the black to the outer edges of the horse. A red horse can carry agouti and pass it to offspring, but the red horse will show no visible difference whether it carries agouti or not.

The Cream gene (Cr or cr) causes Buckskins (bay + cream) and Palominos (red + cream). If a black horse gets a cream gene, it is not visible on them...or very minimally visible at birth...which is what these kittens remind me of...and the black horse with cream is called a Smoky Black.
Horses can also get two doses of the cream gene, one from each parent, and they are called Perlino (bay + 2cream genes), Cremello (red + 2 cream genes) and Smoky Cream (black + 2 cream genes). The Black horse, while it does not show 1 cream gene, with 2, it looks white with a sort of 'reddish-pink' cast to the hair. Also, double dilutes, horses with two cream genes, have blue eyes.

This makes me wonder about kitty genetics, agouti (which is the cause of tabby markings) and the pointed kitties. This looks like black kittens with a dose of Meeze. Sure wish I knew what their mamma and daddy looked like. I think they'll be gorgeous cats when they grow up.

·
Super Moderator
26,511 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
And I didn't mean any disrespect at all to solid kitties! Just that with such pretty colors as kittens I would really hope they'd keep some of them as adults. Even if its just a faint smokey type coat.
Just teasing! But OMGosh! I couldn't see the pictures on my computer at work and now that I can, I'm in love with them, too!!!! I want!! I want!! Oh, wait. I'm getting kitties. Okay. Whew! Back now. Gone for a second.

I kind of hope they don't turn all black, either, now that I can see them. :luv

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Oh wow, these kitties are stunning 8O

I am sure they will find homes in no time... gotta make sure people don't get them just because they look pretty though - gotta beware of Cruella DeVils!!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Nini said:
gotta make sure people don't get them just because they look pretty though - gotta beware of Cruella DeVils!!
This is very true. Just to be safe, I'll take them all. No worries, now! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
26,511 Posts
I had dreams about these kitties last night. They were mine and I wouldn't let anyone else even touch them! :luv

1 - 20 of 29 Posts