Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wireless modem on my desktop. If I want to disconnect from the router, how do I do it? Then how easy is it to reconnect again as long as I have the password? Please include steps..........I'm not very computer savvy. :p

Do I just right click on the little thing that looks like steps that says internet connection, and tell it to disconnect?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Techincally speaking, what you have on your desktop is a wifi receiver.

Depending on your machine and your OS (Operating System) there are different procedures. What does your machine run on? XP, Windows 7, an MAC OS?

I can help you with Windows systems, I know nothing about MACs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How to Connect to Wireless Networks | Windows 7 Tutorials

Ok, thats a tutorial on how to connect to a wireless network. But you want to disconnect from one, right? So looking at the tutorial, if you click the green wireless network icon (looks like green at&t bars), it opens that window that shows the available networks. Click the one your connected to, and you should see a button that says "Disconnect." Just click that, and it will disconnect.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
And then if you want to re-connect, it should have a little symbol of two computers "stacked" against each other with a red X in the middle of them. Click on that, and it should give you options just like before.
At least that's how mine is for Windows Vista (dunno anything about 7, as I'm too poor to upgrade)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
EDIT: What Jessica says^. If that doesn't help. You can look at my instructions as well.

I'm not as familiar with Windows 7, but... I would go to your start button and open your Control Panel. Select "Network and Internet" (the large header). There is a link under "Network Sharing Center" that says "Connect to a network" and I would look for a way to turn off your wifi there.

If that doesn't help, I would play with the other options in the "network and internet" section.

If this is a new machine, you may actually have a button on the back that will enable/disable your wifi connection.

My laptop has a switch so i can turn it on and off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, if she wants to reconnect, she can just follow the tutorial lol. I have windows 7, and when I'm not connected, the bars are clear with a star (meaning there are available networks).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts