Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyra just jumped up on the fish tank and grabbed one of those sticky fly paper trap things. She managed to get it ALL OVER her. We got the tape off her, and Alex is giving her a bath with Dawn dish soap, but is this enough? The stuff is Black Flag Fly paper. I am googling now, but wanted to get this post up ASAP

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, we got the stickyness off with a mix of dawn dish soap, SCRUBBING like mad, Cutting some fur, and oil and vinegar. She is one angry salad dressing smelling kitty. :p She was licking at the stuff though for like five seconds while I was still sitting there in shock of what had happened. It says non-toxic, but also says to keep away from kids.... What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
26,663 Posts
Can you call a 24-hour emergency vet?

·
Super Moderator
26,663 Posts
I just did a quick search and it seems like you did the right thing already. Keep a close eye on her, as I'm sure you are already.

I'm not saying don't call, you could call anyway, I'm not sure that there's anything extra they could do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they told me it was prolly fine, but to call animal poison control. They said there was a toll to call. I was thinking like 2-3 bucks a minute. They wanted 65$ To ask some questions. NO WAY. For 65$, a vet better have their HANDS ON HER. a SIXTY-FIVE DOLLAR phone call. No Thanks! I'll just keep an eye on her. Any sign of trouble Ill take her to the e-vet down the road. I'll GLADLY pay the vet 65+$, but not someone on the PHONE. LOL sorry, it was just really unexpected that a 'toll' would mean a 65 dollar phone call that would probably end up with 'keep an eye on her'.

·
Super Moderator
26,663 Posts
The first time I found out how much it cost, I almost fell off my chair. I don't blame you a bit.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm sure she'll be just fine, if it was only a few licks and she got cleaned up right away.

My friend has a cat (that I would LOVE to steal, if I wasn't already over my limit) who they found in an old shed with some sort of glue or other adhesive junk ALL over her! By the time they found her, it was all dried and stuff. She's half blind, lost most of her teeth (I think it irritated her mouth when she tried to lick it and breathed in the fumes), and had a front leg amputated. She is now a gorgeous brown ticked tabby with the cutest little chirping kind of meow. I want her so badly! LOL
Of course, her name is Hope, because they didn't think she would survive...her brother, also all gummed up, didn't :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dang. I wish I'd kept the number. My pup got into rat poison and I wasn't going to chance something happening on the way to the vet so my first step was to call the poison control number on the packaging and my only pay out that day was to the vet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have had occasion to use the ASPCA poison control line several times. I found the $65 extremely reasonable for the services offered. I spoke to compassionate helpful people, including expert veterinarians. The assistance, and peace of mind, received was worth every penny.

And the hotline vet, in two of the cases, knew more than my vet about the substance ingested.

I am extremely grateful this service is available, and I am sure they have saved many lives.

I'm glad your kitty is okay, but if I'd seen your post when you first made it, that would have been my first recommendation, to call the ASPCA poison control center, especially as it was the middle of the night.

I have the number right next to my phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts