Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a kitten about a week ago and when I picked her out I told them I wanted a female. The lady I got her from wasn't too sure but "thought" that the one I wanted was a female. Well, last nite my hubby was looking at Pixie and said, "I think that she's really a he." I looked but I can't tell at all. How can you tell? Can someone help me out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well on a female the holes are closer together and on a male the holes are further apart and you may be able to see testese?. Also your question ISNT stupid! If you are still unsure take you cat to the vets.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
This is another way to tell.. ahem.. take two fingers, place them on opposite sides(and close) to its area, and and pull away from the 'area'.. if somethin pops out, its a boy. if nothing happens, its a girl.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Those all are good methods! I know the best way that worked for me was close to Jeanie's way but a different symbol. However, where I read it was always the : was representing the boy, or so I thought.

Female ;

Male :

That's how I've seen on several websites when I was accurately trying to tell whether Tevy was a boy or a girl. I guess those probably don't work too well so I'll explain how I was told. :) Take the kitten in one of your hands, having it's head facing away from you and it's behind facing you. Now, if you can get it to stay still, lift up his/her tail and take a look. It took me many times to do this before I was almost sure that Tevy was a girl. On a female you would generally see a verticle slit pretty close under her bottom's hole. In a male, I've heard it's more of a round hole instead of a slit below their bottom's hole, and the holes would be spaced more apart. (don't forget that on either side their might be buldges, that would likely be a boy because it would be his ahem. :p)

That's the best way I can explain how I was told, if I was told wrong then maybe I really don't know what Tevy is. Although I'm 90% sure Tevy is a female. It's a good thing though, if Tevy wasn't, her name is either or I believe. HAHA Anyway, have a good day and good luck with your kitten, I hope you tell us what it is! Your question was not stuipid either. It can be hard to tell the sex of the kittens when they are little if you don't know what to look for. I even had trouble since Tevy was the first little kitten I ever had to sex. :) Once again, good luck and I hope I helped and didn't confuse you more. :) :oops:

- Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Urgh! I've looked like a dozen times and she's just so furry and hairy down there that it's hard to see much of anything. One minute I'm positive she's a she and the next I'm thinking...Hmm...maybe it's a he. *sigh* Maybe I should wait till she's just a bit bigger, eh?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
would it help u if i took pictures of my kittens private parts? im pretty sure screech wont mind she is always shoving her bum in my face LoL and isiah the boy, well we all know males like to show off ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at that site that Jeanie had sent me and that still didn't help! I don't know if it's useless to send pics or not. I'd like to know if Pixie is a boy or girl but I've gotten to the point where I'm just ready to wait till she's a bit older and I can tell a little better. Plus she's gotten to where she meows real loud when I try and look down there. I think she's getting alittle tired of being violated. LoL. Poor thing!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, if pixie has longer fur it might be harder to see down there well enough to get an accurate guess. You can wait another week or two and it would probably be easier to tell by then. If you are going to the vet anytime soon, the vet would be able to pick it out right away for you. :) Good luck! Although as bad as the thought might be, if you did get a picture of the kittens rear end I'm sure almost anyone here could tell you what he/she is. :) Have a good day, I hope you find out soon!

- Randy

·
Registered
28 Posts
When we first got Gibson the shelter said he was a boy. You could even tell he was a boy. But one day when we were visiting upstairs with my bf's grandparents, I got into an agurment with his aunt about the sex of Gibson. She said it was a girl and so did everyone else. Later on his grandfather took Gibson and did the little trick Aonir mentions about spreading the area in question, and sure enough something popped out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a foster cat have two kittens that I was convinced was a boy and a girl. Then suddenly the "boy" started showing tortie markings! Well, turned out, she was a tortie point, which is why she was born snow white then suddenly started becoming speckled! But even after she was fully grown she fooled even vets, because she had two little tufts of fur where the, ahems, (cute, Aonir!) would have been if she were a boy.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
eden2 said:
Urgh! I've looked like a dozen times and she's just so furry and hairy down there that it's hard to see much of anything. One minute I'm positive she's a she and the next I'm thinking...Hmm...maybe it's a he. *sigh* Maybe I should wait till she's just a bit bigger, eh?
Don't feel bad. I have looked at a lot of kitten behinds to try and tell their sex and I still have trouble! :roll: In my opinion, it does get easier to tell as they get older.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts