Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Egg shells or actual bone meal powder I think could both be used. I don't know how much.

What kind of bones have you tried? Clover was horrible to try get to eat bone. Even smashed chicken ribs she'd eat all around...then one day she decided she LOVED to eat bone :lol:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chicken...they both like it...but we can only get it when it's on sale, any other time its very expensive. I am hoping I can use something in place of it while the chicken isn't on sale... Thanks! :D

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Chicken is actually one of the less expensive meats. ?? How much are you paying? Are you getting whole chickens and cutting them up or pre-cut pieces? Pre-cut is more expensive AND more likely to be enhanced--getting whole chickens is a better idea overall.

I much prefer cornish game hen or quail over chicken for cats -- a cat isn't gonna be able to take down a chicken, so the bones are a bit big for them. They CAN eat some of the bones (rib/wing-tip, etc.) but a lot won't be consumed.

I recently found an Asian/Mexican grocery in my area. It's a bit out of the way, but fine for a once-a-month trip. I found quail - 6 processed quail for $6! When I give quail, each cat gets 1/2 (cut down the long way), at .50 a meal!

I would very much advise against using a "bone substitute." Not only do you risk unbalancing things, but cats NEED to chew through bone for dental health. Keep in mind that cats have a lower bone requirement than dogs do -- Most do best on 5% bone, 10% at the absolute outside. That is 1/2 quail or 1/4 cornish game hen 2-3 meals a week, tops. NOT much.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If you have the freezer space, you should be able to order a bulk box of chicken necks (or necks and backs) from the meat dept at your local grocery. I can't get just necks from mine, but I can order a 40-45 lb box of necks and backs for around $25. The cats can crunch the necks, but the backs are generally too big-boned for them. I either grind the backs for the cats or feed them whole to the dogs.

Laurie

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buying the chicken meat is not the problem. Buying the meat that comes with the bone is. It's approx. $1.50 to $1.79 per pound when it's not on sale; Im not sure how much comes in a package... :?: And I have two kittys on the RAW diet. We hit the chicken bones a few times and the cats eat it just fine. :D It just seems like we go through it quickly...

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
whiteghost said:
Buying the chicken meat is not the problem. Buying the meat that comes with the bone is. It's approx. $1.50 to $1.79 per pound when it's not on sale; Im not sure how much comes in a package... :?:
I'm confused -- are you saying that you pay LESS for boneless chicken than for bone-in? I have never seen that. Usually boneless is much more expensive. I never buy it -- I feed other boneless meat (usually beef and venison I get for free on Craigslist scores).

If you're buying already cut-up chicken (breasts, legs, etc.), that's going to be more expensive than getting WHOLE chickens and cutting them up yourself. I pay $1.80 a pound for bone-in whole chickens, but I get organic, free-range chicken! For the regular chicken you should pay MUCH less than that for whole chickens.

That said, there is going to be much bone in chicken that cats simply can't eat. So it won't be consumed. That's fine -- they don't need much. But I find that getting quail or Cornish hen is more cost-effective b/c they eat EVERYTHING. Again, since they only need 5-10% of their total diet (fed over time) as bone, if you give bone-in processed chicken/CGH/quail 3-4 meals a week, that's all the bone you need to feed. My adult cats get 1/6 of a CGH in a meal, or 1/2 smallish quail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do Not feed bone subtitute!!!!! I tryed and my cat got the runs and a vet visit, very spendy!! Buy hole chicken and proses or buy in bulk it will be better and cheper in the long run!!

Wizzel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts