Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until yesterday Moggy has been willing to eat his raw food and everything was going very well.

Last night he left his liver portion on the plate and refused to eat it (both evening and bedtime meals). This morning I offered him only the liver first hoping that he'd be hungry and eat it up. He just sat beside his plate and looked at it for a minute and then preformed his "it's time to give me food" dance: slinking around my legs, purring very loudly and meowing. I ignored him for about an hour and then put out the rest of his meal: cornish hen part, beef kidney, pork tongue and pork heart. He ate every bit except for the liver :(

I then defrosted some chicken liver, he had been getting beef liver and he refused that also. I'll keep offering him liver and make sure each offering is fresh and hope he'll go back to eating it.

Is it common for them to just not want to eat a certain organ for a short period of time or is this something I will need to be concerned about? Right now I am not grinding up any food, it's all chunks and pieces. I did try to smear a little canned food on the liver and he licked it off and left the liver.

Each meal he gets does contain organs, meat and bones.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try sprinkling some parmesan cheese on it, or pan searing it for just a few seconds on one side.

I've had to do that several times to get my puppers going again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input.

I will try your suggestions and hope he stops being so stubborn. I'll start with a light sear in a pan as I do not have any parm cheese or fish flakes on hand :)

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Also, I'm pretty sure they don't need to have liver with every meal as long as it is overall balanced - maybe he is just getting tired of it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I'll back off on the liver and offer it every few days instead. I had been giving him a tiny piece only in his meals and all his poops are firm and nugget like, so I'm fairly certain I had not been giving him too much.

Today he is refusing raw :( I coaxed him to eat a small amount but that was it. He had been doing so well and we seem to be going backwards this week! :?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was doing a little raw research today and came across this article, I found it very interesting and complimentary to this thread.

There is one proviso: do not grind the food. Grinding increases the surface area of the meat and thus exposes more of the "good stuff" to the air. This results in oxidation of taurine and a resultant decrease in overall taurine available to the cat. Additionally, grinding creates the perfect environment for bacteria growth, and bacteria also utilize the taurine in the meat, thereby further decreasing the total amount of taurine available to your cat. Thus, if you feed your cat a ground raw diet, it may not receive all the taurine it needs to thrive,
What About Cats?
I'm on the fence about canned tuna, so take that with a grain of salt if you are against feeding it, I suppose .. I think the rest is pretty solid information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts