Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat Johan is 16. He's always been healthy. He has not been to the vet in a couple years and recently I made an appointment because I figured he should get checked out.

Last night, he walked by me and I noticed he was wobbling when he walked, like he was drunk. He then went under my bed and stayed there for like 2 hours, which is not normal. He wouldn't come out when I tried to lure him out which is also not normal. Eventually he came out and seemed back to normal. He was eating and drinking and back to his normal self. My roommate had the day off today and she just noticed him do the same thing. Wobbled around and then just sat down for a while. Now he's back to normal. So whatever it is seemed to come and go. I'm at work but have been looking up what it could be and seems like maybe it could be an ear infection possibly. Or ataxia? His vet appointment isn't for another month. I'm just not sure if I need to take him to the emergency vet or what? Anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are a few things it could be (ear infection, neuro disorder, etc), so my advice is to call your Vet as soon as possible, explain the situation, and ask them if he could be seen right away. If not, and if it was my cat, I'd take him to the emergency vet, though it may be expensive.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I second the advice from Miscellaneous. If this were my cat I would have him to the vet immediately. There are so many things that could cause this and it might be something serious that will get worse, so don't wait.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
At 16 yrs., is considered "old age", and his wobbling walk could be because of his age, and that he is getting weaker. This is accompanied often by a gradual decline of eating and appetite loss, and hiding and he may be coming to the end of his life. It's always very sad to see this happen, but if he appears to be in pain or is distressed it is kinder to have him euthanized.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts