Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was playing in the room and may of fell off of something but anyways I came in and she was lying down and I picked her up and her right leg is cowering in and she has like no reflexes in it like the other one. I tried to walk her and she can't walk on it and the foot goes under her!

I am so worried but can't afford to go to the emergency vet right now unless I really have to. Has anyone else's cat got a sprained leg and did it get better??

Please say a prayer, and keep her in your thoughts I am so worried :cry:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok now she won't even run out or leave the room when I went to the kitchen. I had to hand feed her wet canned food! It must hurt like **** and she is howling sometimes when she is walking on it. I've read that I should leave it for 24 hrs if it doesn't feel broken or anything but I am getting really worried. She walks but doesn't even want to and that right leg is now kinda stiff looking.....

I am calling my vet to see if they can see her today, I hope everything is ok, my bf says she will be but he isn't a vet..... :(

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Both of Sabby's back legs were dislocated in an accident (we're not sure what happened). The vet said they would heal on their own and it was nothing to worry about. They didn't heal properly, though and he hasn't been able to jump very high ever since. I'm sorry if this scares you and I really hope it doesn't, but I would head to the vet to be sure it's not something worse.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well I set an appt for 5:30pm and I am soooo worried, they said it may take awhile for some sprains to heal, IF it is a sprain. Anyways, wish us luck! <<))

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that, Kitkat ..I hope Sugar will be relieved from pain soon ..and that your budget won't be highly affected
~hugs~

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My cat Thunder came home dragging his leg behind, except it didn't hurt him. His leg had to be removed ebcause it was paralysed somehow in his daily outside wanderings.

If he is yowling, it's probably not paralysed because she can feel the pain. But to check, pinch his toes with your fingernails until she actually shows he is feeling it.
She probably broke something it sounds like.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
We'll be looking for your answer when you get back from the vet. I hope you get the best possible diagnosis, and that Sugar will recover quickly!

Just a bit of info:
Paralysis and lack of pain don't necessarily occur simultaneously. The nerves which carry pain are not always damaged when paralysis occurs. Paralysis occurs when the nerves carrying the message to move are affected. Polio patients, for example, often have increased sensitivity to pain, heat, cold, etc., in paralyzed muscles.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes, when Clyde's back-end became paralysed, he could feel EVERYTHING and was very sensitive and in great deal of pain. Thunders, on the other hand, acted as if nothing was wrong. It really depends on exactly what happened.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I just got back from the vet and its not so good news. Not so good b/c this is pretty serious and not totally bad b/c at least they don't have to amputate or anything.

She dislocated her right leg and on the x ray there was a microscopic chip almost, couldn't really tell. They said it may be able to pop back in but it may just pop back out and plus she would have to wear a leg brace thing for a few weeks which is not going to work with her not being the type of cat to even wear an e-collar, and plus I won't be home to watch her.

My other option which is what I am going for is surgery. They are going to cut a part of her muscle since the vet said that small dogs and cats don't use much weight on their back legs as much so after they heal, they wouldn't notice the difference, and are back to normal since they have so much muscle back there.

I can't believe I let this happen and I feel even more horrible b/c this is going to be like $600-$800 which I dont even have $ for right now but the most important thing is that he said the doctor may be able to work out some sort of payment plan.

I almost cried at the vet thinking how much pain she is in. I have to drop her off at the vet tomorrow morning so that the doctor can look at her and do the surgery if all is well. This couldn't of happened at a better time, I am soooo broke. Before I had my credit cards to fall on but now I don't even have that! Sorry about the long post....

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am relieved to hear that at least it is something that can be controlled. I know it is hard but just think of how nice it is that Twinkie has you to take care of her - you are such a warm-hearted mom! I am sure that in time you will solve the credit damage.
You and Twinkie will be in my thoughts

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I hope you can keep her relatively quiet so that the vet can put it back and it stays that way. We love our animals, but I know you don't want her to suffer more than necessary. Hopefully, she won't need the surgery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am so sorry to hear this. Perhaps the vet will let you pay so much per month at least. Am glad that your cat doesn't have to have its leg amputated. Though I will say that even if it had it probably would've been ok!
There's a cat down the road, b/f keeps calling it tripod, but he says it afffectionately and it runs fine with 3 legs! Is surprising really!
Guess I'm trying to cheer you up here.

My thoughts are with you.
*hugs*
Marisa

[

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well Sugar got a Buprenex injectable shot yesterday for the pain. She hasn't left the carrier since I got her home last nite!

I am about to take her to the vet now to the doctor to determine my options. Has anyone else's cat gotten surgery for something similar :?:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Kitkat, I'm so sorry that the diagnosis wasn't more positive, but I am glad that you can do something for Sugar and that your vet is willing to work out a payment plan.

I'll be keeping Sugar, Twinkie, and you in my thoughts. Best of luck.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok well since I don't have the whole amount to pay up front, I had to apply for some medical financing thing where I pay monthly. Ok since I just started my credit history and stuff I don't have a long credit history. Well plus I have a lot of debt but never any missed payments or anything. I got declined on it so my bf applied to co sign and he got declined too even though he used to have great credit.

Well I told her that I could pay maybe half now and half later and they said it was ok and they would start surgery now. Omg, I hope everything goes well with this hip surgery :!:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
They're operating today? It's so nice they were willing to work with you. I asked my vet about payment options and the best option they had was postdating checks. *shrug*

Please be sure to let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok well I called the vet and Sugar is doing extremely well. She is normally not the type of cat to wear bandages or e-collars but he said she was acting like an angel, not trying to take the bandage off. I am so happy to hear that. Now the real test is, she is coming home tomorrow but they recommended her being in a big cage with litter in it, and I don't have anymore money to go buy something like that. I am thinking I can put her in the bathroom but I guess I will have to put Twinkie there too and I dont want him bothering her but he probably won't.

They say the next 2 mths is crucial so I am going to watch her all I can and hope to God she gets better. She is still so young 1 1/2 yrs. I hope this doesn't scar her for life.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts, I will keep updates as it comes along.... <<))

This procedure and all vet visits cost me near $900, I am sooo broke right now!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts