Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenario -- sorry it's long, but there's a lot to explain..... :oops:

Stephen is 5 and has always enjoyed wrestling & play-fighting with my boyfriend. She used to walk around the house crying if he didn't come over every few days.

Since we moved in together, she has become rougher in her play. At times, she would hiss for no reason - something she has never done before. This stopped after I got on to her a few times for doing it and made my bf do the same. Last night during one of their playing sessions, she grabbed his finger with her claw so he couldn't let go and tore up his hand! He was bleeding for about 15 minutes.

Now, at first I thought her behavior was jealousy b/c she was used to having me to herself and now she had to share. My bf thought she was acting resentful b/c he was now a boss to her, not just a playmate.

Whatever the reason, this behavior has to stop! Last night after the episode, I got ahold of her, got on to her , drug out the kennel and put her it for an hour - which she hates. I plan to do it every time she attacks.

Has anyone had this problem? Is she just getting pissy in her "old" age? Does "kennel" punishment work?

I don't know what else to do. She's lovable 90% of the time. And with me being gone a lot, she has really attached to my bf.

Any suggestions would be great.

I've also told him to get on to her anytime she does this. I don't want her to think she can randomly attack and then get off scotch-free.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The rough play between her and your boyfriend led to this. There has to be no roughness whatsoever in your play time with her. At any sign of aggression push gently your hand toward her and if she won't stop still stop playing and pay no attention to her for a while. She will see that it is no longer an acceptable way to play.
Don't play with your hands anymore also. Get a toy that is attached to a string and make her chase it around. A laser pointer will be great to. She will learn to stay away from your hands -or your boyfriends. They are now the object of her hunting game :twisted: .
Best of luck - with a little patience it will work out :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree. It's not a dominance issue, really, nor anything direstly related to your boyfriend moving in. Rather, I think, it's more to do with a built up expectation that your cat has now. She associates your bf with rough play. So, when she gets a claw stuck in his hand, or takes it that one step beyond a treats him like a teenaged sib by hissing, she shouldn't be punished for it. She has no idea what she did wrong, since, in essence, she's been rewarded for this behavior for quite a while.

The solution is to keep playing, as Ioana suggested, and bring in an "acceptable victim," or an interactive toy. My all time fave is "Da Bird" made by a company called Go Cat. I just haven't met a cat yet that said no to that one. Big benefit is that it keeps hands at a safe distance. And patience is key. You're teaching her a new way of releasing energy, and need to let her know that the old way won't get her any results. That may take a little while to sink in, but it will!

Best,
Jackson

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions...

She has loved to play like this from day one. She'll to it with me, but I'll wear a sweatshirt and pull the sleeves down to protect myself in case she gets a little rough. She knows when to quit with me, though!

With my bf, she was having fun playing, and then just grabbed him, which is very unusual for her.

Last night he told her to get off the table and she didn't listen. So he walked towards her and picked her up to move her off and she growled! Personally, I still think she's being pissy toward him... but we'll work on it and see what happens.

She listens to me and is so sweet! I don't know what caused the change towards him. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts