Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Samantha and Alice love to chew. They aren't destructive around the house with it, and only seem to do it when feeling playful. But they've chewed/bitten apart many toys now, and frankly, I'm sick of spending money on new toys that they are just going to bite to death and then get thrown out the same day I bring them home. The plastic toys, especially spring-shaped ones, seem to get the brunt of their chewing, and I can't let them play without strict supervision...I'm so worried a piece is going to be swallowed! :? Unfortunately, spring toys are also Alice's favorite, so keeping them around is kind of a must.

So I'm looking for some suggestions for tough and long-lasting toys or treats or things, that would be safe for me to give to my chewsy girls. As I said, they seem to go for the spring toys first, so a durable spring toy that could outlast their teeth would be ideal. Any treat or food suggestions, I'd like to be as healthy as possible.

Anyone else have a kitty that likes to chew? Or is this something not normal, and I should tell them they aren't dogs...

·
Registered
146 Posts
yes, my kitty loves to chew too. my late cat didnt. at first i found it strange and maybe something Mocha would get over but at three yrs old, she chews on almost anything, kind of like a 2 yr old baby exploring and putting stuff in the mouth-kind-of thing.

i'd like to know some good chewy toys too. :D

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I bought the chewy worm with catnip for Prince, because it helps reduce tartar too. He never chewed it, though, he wasn't impressed by it, though I loved it. Petstages, I think, makes all the chewy toys for cats.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My girls aren't chewers, so I can't recommend anything specific. But, have you tried visiting the dog aisle of your local pet store, where I imagine there would be lots of chew toys? No doubt some would be too big for Samantha and Alice, but you might find a couple that are appropriate.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Straysmommy - I have a few of those Petstages toys, the Mint Stick and the Chew Ring, and neither were ever played with. :? Same story with the Orka Worms. Never touched. *sigh*

yingying - No, and I wouldn't give them to them anyways...they'd have them snapped in half almost instantly, and then I'd be scrambling to grab the shards before they are swallowed. :?

Susan - Ya know, I haven't checked the dog isle yet...I have no idea why I haven't... Thanks for the idea! :p

I guess I probably should have been a bit more specific in what I'm looking for....sorry. Keep in mind my girls have the jaw strength to go through bone (raw feeding), so anything plastic and flimsy isn't going to work as a toy. I had thought about rawhide, but I have no idea if its safe for a cat to chew on.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I give mine a cardboard box every now and then and they reduce it to little bits. Seems to satisfy the chewing instinct. They really like the little cardboard trays that their case of canned food comes in. Unless they are eating the cardboard, it shouldn't hurt them.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I give mine a cardboard box every now and then and they reduce it to little bits. Seems to satisfy the chewing instinct. They really like the little cardboard trays that their case of canned food comes in. Unless they are eating the cardboard, it shouldn't hurt them.
Good suggestion! Actually I do give them cardboard. They love to chew on the disposable drink carriers you get at like a fast food place. It doesn't seem to satisfy them though, because they always go back and destroy their toys. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I get the nu-bone chew sticks for cats when yeti gets into I have to chew on things moods.. due to the fact that he can wipe one out in minutes we cut them in half giving him less of a handle on them(the short end on the stick) we also have some toys that are a molded fish head and tail with rope connecting them, designed as chew toys,, (catsclaws) they don't seem to hold his interest for very long..

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get the nu-bone chew sticks for cats when yeti gets into I have to chew on things moods.. due to the fact that he can wipe one out in minutes we cut them in half giving him less of a handle on them(the short end on the stick) we also have some toys that are a molded fish head and tail with rope connecting them, designed as chew toys,, (catsclaws) they don't seem to hold his interest for very long..

Ohh, I totally forgot about those N-Bone chew sticks. I have gotten them in the past, and the girls seemed to like them. Too bad they chew through them too darn quick. Something like that shape, but harder/tougher for them to chew would be perfect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts