Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted 2 long hair cats, about age 5, and they were fed only dry food in their previous home. I would prefer them to eat plenty of canned food but so far the ones I have tried they are not too enthusiastic about. I have tried Wellness Core and regular wellness so far, several different varieties. It has to be pate because when I feed them minced food, they just lick up the gravy and walk away.

A fish based food might be better because the male cat does like to sample my salmon when I eat it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
119 Posts
If you simply plunk wet food in front of cats who've been exclusively fed dry, chances are they'll just turn their noses up at it. Changing their food like that can also upset their stomachs.

Try weaning them a bit at a time instead. First, mix 3/4 of the old food with 1/4 of the new for a few days. Then, feed them a 50/50 mix. Then a 1/4, 3/4 and finally 100 percent the new food.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track, trying different flavors and textures. One might catch their interest. It might appeal to them to try inexpensive canned at first. I think the basic brands include more salt and flavor enhancers, just like people processed foods. It might be tastier as an introduction for them. Maybe not entire meals, but a dollop next to their dry. Another option are those kitty crack squeeze up treats that are like a runny paste consistency. Again, just to get them trying something other than dry.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been trying to gradually change them over to different food including grain free dry food.

I think it's what MistWolf said where they have only been fed dry up until now so they are not too interested.

There have been no stomach issues at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
My cat definitely prefers kibble to wet food.🙄
I used a small amount of Origin dry kibble to fill in her cat food puzzles. Orijen first 15 ingredients are all meat!!!!

She has to hunt to find her kibble in food puzzles or up on the top of her cat tree.
I never put it in a bowl.

I also use the few Kibbles that she gets per day to lure her to explore new places in the home because she is a very afraid cat. I got a few little tiny paper plates and I put a few Kibbles on each one and I place them around the house for her to go find. I also bought some toys specifically to hide kibble in.
She only gets one fourth cup every 2 or 3 days.

But the bulk of her diet is BFF OMG "oh my gravy" cutie patootie flavor cat food. I think the brand is called Weruva. They have a huge variety of cat foods divided up by Textures.
It is all grain free. I get it off of amazon.

If I give her other wet food----- she will lick the moisture off but she won't actually bite the food.🙄 she just looks off the gravy and leaves the rest....

But the weruva OMG brand is like a soupy texture, so she kind of has to eat it. And she does.
She likes several of the flavors but the Cutie Patootie is her favorite. Snarfs it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just searched this food. I will certainly give it a try. My cats also just lick up the gravy on most foods and leave the meat behind

·
Registered
73 Posts
Richo,
if you search for Weruva website, you can see actual photos of all the big variety of various TEXTURES they offer for cat foods.

My cat prefers the almost gravy like/soupy texture, but BFF Weruva has so many textures and you can SEE pictures of the textures. If you buy it off of Amazon you can post questions about the cat food too.
I just read that Orijen is going to be offering a WET food variety of their food soon which would be great! so far as i know, at this point, Orijen only comes in dry kibble which is top notch freeze dried raw foods. My loves Orijen,, but i do limit how much kibble she gets a week...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My cats also prefer the gravy texture, so OMG would be the perfect choice. The local PetCo seems to stock it so I will try a couple cans before committing to a case of them. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts