Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to plunge into The Cat Who series again! I've got the Cat Who Went Bananas,The Cat Who Said Cheese... Lilian Jackson Braun is truly the queen of the cat cozies! Anyone know any new fun cat books-cat mysteries especially?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I never those series, but I love to read The Cat In The Hat books when I was little. My sister reads Garfield comics. She loves Garfield.

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
Cleo, The Cat Who Mended A Family - what a wonderful book. It's not a mystery, but I found out after I finished it, it's a true story.

A story about a black cat named Cleo, purrfect. :grin:

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I'm about to plunge into The Cat Who series again! I've got the Cat Who Went Bananas,The Cat Who Said Cheese... Lilian Jackson Braun is truly the queen of the cat cozies! Anyone know any new fun cat books-cat mysteries especially?
My mom is crazy about Lilian Jackson Braun.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My mom is crazy about Lilian Jackson Braun.
I wouldn't go that far, but I enjoy her books. She's very good at
describing Siamese behavior (or "behaviour" for our Brit subscribers).

I get catalogs from two remainder/overstock booksellers, and have
a large number of her many books.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My Nookcolor is well loved, I carry it just about everywhere with me. I recently finished reading The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. I *really* enjoyed both. My mom brought them to my attention and I put my previous series on hold. Which was ok, it was getting kind of old after 7 or 8 books. That series was by Julia Spencer Fleming (Clare Fergusson series).

Right NOW I'm just about to finish Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith. and have NO idea where I'm going from there. Ken Follet has a few other series so maybe I'll take a look at them.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've got ALL LJB s cat cozies on my nook! Thanks,Sis! I'm on kind of a fantasy kick,I might do Christopher Paolini's Eragon. Also, one of my very favorites -an 'urban' fantasy- is Dark Heart by Margeret Weis and Dave Baldwin. A long-vanquished dragon has human 'disciples' that terrorize our world-the story mostly takes place in Chicago. They sprout wings,claws and fangs,and chomp humans who get to close,or find themselves in the dragon's way. There's other-good-dragons and their human friends out there,too! The story centers around Sandra 'Bruce" Mccormick,her crippled,disfigured brother Benny,and Justin Sterling,the Chicago disciple. It's book 1 of The Dragon's Disciple. Has ANYONE heard about more books in this series!?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Leann Sweeney's The Cat in Trouble series are good, light mysteries with cats. Or you could try Sofie Kelly's Magical Cats Mystery series.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anne Rice has released a WEREWOLF novel. I hope she puts more of HERSELF into this one!

Her recent works are inspiring and wonderful! but
has anyone read the werewolf gift?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just finished reading Dance with Dragons. Very good, but now I'm sad I have to wait for more to come out.

Next on the list is Neal Stephenson's "Reamde", and a YA book called "Johnathon Strange and Mrs. Norrel" that was recommended by a friend. After that is a non-fiction my mom recommended called "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking."

My partner and I are also reading Jasper Fforde's "The Last Dragonslayer" at bedtime, while he waits for me to finish "First Among Sequels", when we'll start the next in the series, "One of Our Thursdays is Missing."

My favourite books about cats are threefold.
The Book of Night With Moon and To Visit the Queen are by Diane Duane. They're about cats that control the World-Gating system under Grand Central Station with string theory (really!). They're amazing and I love them. There's a third in the series that's been 10+ years coming, called The Big Meow, that I haven't read yet, but I'd love to!

The third one is called Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. It's not the best written, and the story is a bit strange, but I love the mythos surrounding the world he's created, and there's a crazy cat called Eatbugs in it that reminds me of a childhood pet :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
For some reason, after finally graduating from college, I have NO desire to read. However, the last two books I read were from the Warriors series. They are young adult books about feral cats who live in the woods. They were very good books and the author has IMO a good grasp of feline behavior. I contemplating giving my ferals a clan name after reading those books, lol.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got'em! The Book Of Night With Moon and To Visit The Queen just came in! The local library didn't have them,BUT they subscribe to SEARCH OHIO! They've come in all the way from Portage County! Interesting cover art-and I like the premise. These x-dimensional kittehs even have their OWN LANGUAGE! IMust set aside some time to read these. And thanks,Jacq,for the book recc!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ah, I'm glad you found them, Bluemilk! Please report back after you've read them, but be prepared to cry a little.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
The third one is called Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. It's not the best written, and the story is a bit strange, but I love the mythos surrounding the world he's created, and there's a crazy cat called Eatbugs in it that reminds me of a childhood pet :)
I've been trying to remember the name of this book for the longest
time! I read it several years ago and was totally caught up with the
feline characters and their strange world. Wonderful fantasy made
even more perfect by having cats instead of humans make up the bulk of the characters.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I re-read the Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert Heinlein, and now I am starting on John Scalzi's Red Shirts. Just finished the book Wesley the Owl and started An Eagle called Freedom.

One of my favorite cat themed books is the one about the library cat that was a best seller some years ago. I re-read that about once a year. Can't think of the title of it right now. Guess I am having a senior moment.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts