Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and looking for advice. We have currently had a heatwave in Britain and I have been trying my best to make sure my cat (with white ears ) is protected from the sun. I have been vigilantly applying cat sunscreen to his ears, dermoscent sun-free and Aniwell Filtabac. I believed the latter was giving him a reaction so changed products.I also bought him extra shelter outside.His ears are really red but I cannot tell if they’re from the sun or the suncream. His hair seems to have gone and there is some scabbing I think… not sure. He seems ok in himself but understandably he won’t let me touch his ears. I am looking to take him to the vets but thought I would seek some advice in the interim. How can I tell if it’s sunburn or a reaction to the cream? If sunburn what else can I do to protect him and help him heal?

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do you let your cat go outside? If so, I recommend that you stop doing that, because the sunscreen is only marginally effective and can of course be washed off by the cat. I would recommend that you not use the cream at all and stopping it immediately if you think there's any chance that it is causing a reaction. Wash the cat's ears gently with just warm water and see if that helps.

If you keep your cat indoors, make sure he is not sunning himself in a window all the time, because that can actually cause sunburn as well. I never knew this, until a neighbor of mine had a white cat who developed skin cancer from sunning in a window all the time!

And of course, take him to the vet as you are planning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you let your cat go outside? If so, I recommend that you stop doing that, because the sunscreen is only marginally effective and can of course be washed off by the cat. I would recommend that you not use the cream at all and stopping it immediately if you think there's any chance that it is causing a reaction. Wash the cat's ears gently with just warm water and see if that helps.

If you keep your cat indoors, make sure he is not sunning himself in a window all the time, because that can actually cause sunburn as well. I never knew this, until a neighbor of mine had a white cat who developed skin cancer from sunning in a window all the time!

And of course, take him to the vet as you are planning.
Thank you for the advise

1 - 3 of 3 Posts