Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some studies suggest sunlight releases natural mood-elevating chemicals in the human body. Is the same true for :kittyturns? I've noticed that Robin is much more behaved when he's been basking in the sun. He's much more...sociable! Anyone else noticed this in their cats?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I thing one thing is certain cat like being warm, if they're not basking in the sun they're likely to be laying somewhere else that's warm.
I have ceiling register and Chiquita like to lay on the back of my chair so when the furnace come on the warm air blows on her.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Absolutely! people feel much happier and energetic on sunny days and the cats do too. Right now today is overcast, and normally my two Devons have a big chase and runaround right after breakie. But they both want to sleep and or just lounge in my lap (like Zuba is as I type). I've noticed a difference in how they react to the sun. Alkee doesn't seem to be affected by it as much---maybe because she's white and the warmth is reflected; whereas Zuba abolutely luxuriates in it with his darker coat and lies in it whenever he can. When he does that I call him the "sun cat". On overcast days when he's near our patio doors I'll say to him "where's the sun?" and he looks up in the sky and then back at me and meows---maybe hoping I can make it appear? We recently had a spell of almost a week of dull weather and both of them were a pretty sleepy pair. Sunnny yesterday and they perked up. I know personally that if we have too many dreary dull days in Nov.-Dec. here I get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) where I just feel like hibernating and eating chocolate. If I get too despondent, I have to sit under a UV light for about 15 mins./day.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm sure the sunlight does affect our kitty's moods. It's a glorious day out today and Milky has been lying on the sofa by the window sill just napping in the warmth and having a lazy day. Sometimes in the evening when the sun has gone down, he'll use his paw to make a gap in the curtains and look out as if he is wondering where the sun is!

Anyhow, Milky loves laying in places that are warm anyway. He enjoys laying near the bathroom door where the hot water pipes run underneath, or sometimes behind the tv set where it's also warm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts