Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's watching? Anyone you're specifically routing for? I suppose I'd like Arizona to win just because they've never been there before. I'll watch but not really for the game. I watch for the commercials. Here's a funny clip I found highlighting a few that we can expect to see Sunday.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1023043

On CBS on Saturday is the annual SuperBowl's Greatest Commercials TV Special, hosted by Jim Nance and Daisy Fuentes. You can go online here http://www.cbs.com/collections/superbowl/ to watch the top 10 commercials and vote for your fave. The top 3 will be voted upon during the show Saturday for the #1. Honestly, I'm tired of seeing the Mean Joe Greene commercial already. I mean, yeah it was a great commercial but, for Heaven sake, it's about 30 years old! MANY more commercials with greater caliber have come out since then.

On the top 10 list this year, my fave has got to be Budweiser's "tune-out ref." Budweiser must have a great marketing/advertising team because they manage to make some of the best commercials I've ever seen and this one is hilarious!

Oh yeah, I look at Sunday as a good excuse to just chow on munchies all afternoon/evening. I'm making 7-layer dip again - Yum!

·
Registered
981 Posts
We might watch some of it. Our Bike club is having a Super Bowl party and we might stop in there for a little while but mainly we want to be on the motorcycle

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
More interested in the halftime show than the game this year....Brrrrruuuuuuuuuuce!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hubby and I will be watching. Gotta have that last football fix before the long spring and summer! I'm cheering for Arizona, the underdogs. It will just be the two of, in pj's, with a fire in the fireplace and munchies. We used to host Superbowl parties but I would never get to see the game! And yes, can't wait to see Bruce perform!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doodlebug said:
More interested in the halftime show than the game this year....Brrrrruuuuuuuuuuce!
:lol: Yeah, I remember having his "Born In The USA" cover as a poster taped to my wall when I was a kid. According to something I saw yesterday, he promises it to be one heck of a show! By the way, how exciting that you get to see him in concert soon. :p

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dragonfly said:
We used to host Superbowl parties but I would never get to see the game!
When we got married, I promised hubby that I would host a SB party for him if his team ever made it to the SuperBowl. It was pretty much an empty promise because since he's a diehard Vikings fan I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. Sorry, Lori! :lol:

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Going to a friend's house for the SB party. I'm making a huge crock pot of chili with toppings on the side. Maybe some home-made bread, too.

I LOVE the commercials! I also like watching the Clio Awards.

Rooting for the Steelers, though I miss Cowhers' scowling face. Boy, was he entertaining! I do sort of hope Arizona can win, they have played amazingly this year, really cohesive as a team, but I do not think they have been playing consistently enough to beat the Steelers.
I hope it is a close and exciting game, though I have seen a tendency for a lot of over-confident mistakes in these playoff games...

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Jo! You're rooting for WHOM? This is one of those rare years when I transform into a football fan! I live 14 miles from "The City of Champions," as Pittsburgh used to be called. I will be watching, you can be sure. I am showering with the Terrible Towel, lounging in The Terrible Robe, and typing on the Terrible Computer! Come over to the winning side! :)

GO, STEELERS!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeanie said:
Jo! You're rooting for WHOM? GO, STEELERS!!
Yeah, I tend to go for the underdog but in all likelihood I can see The Steelers winning anyway. If one of my friends knew I was quietly rooting for Arizona she'd probably disown me. Her husband is a BIGTIME Steelers fan since the days of the Steel Curtain.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
National Football League Championship game...it has become almost the equivalent of a national holiday. People throw parties...an excuse to eat all kinds of appetizers and pizza and beer etc. It draws the largest TV audience of any show broadcast, last years was over 93 million viewers and a 30 second advertisement cost $2.7M. Watching the commercials is a big part of the event and it's the debut for the most creative ads of the year. And halftime entertainment consists of some of the biggest names in the music industry.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Oh .. so its the American football game final.

For some reason, I was thinking more in terms of baseball.

As is obviously very clear at this point, I have no knowledge whatsoever of American sports. :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
melysion said:
As is obviously very clear at this point, I have no knowledge whatsoever of American sports. :lol:
I wish I had more time to educate you on American sports. American Football is taken pretty seriously by millions of loyal fans. :wink: By the way, baseball is a summer sport and the finals (World Series) is held in October. It's too doggone cold, wet and snowy in most parts of the country now for baseball, which is generally played outdoors.

EDITED TO ADD: I just realized something I said probably sounded goofy. Football is also played outdoors in a lot of stadiums but I think they are better able to handle the cold because football is a much more intense game than baseball. JMO :wink:

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Yes...and baseball is a more exacting/finesse type sport, where football is a big clobberfest.

Allie...I'd bet if you want to see what it's all about you can. It's usually broadcast all over the world. Only problem is that it doesn't start until around 11pm your time.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
doodlebug said:
Allie...I'd bet if you want to see what it's all about you can. It's usually broadcast all over the world. Only problem is that it doesn't start until around 11pm your time.
Ah .. that would explain why I've never seen it then. :lol: 11pm? Zzzzzzzz time. Its a long game too isnt it? My brother watches it I know that (American football in general that is). But then he doesnt have to get up for work Monday morning! Mind you, he could be watching the repeats if there are any. No idea.

American football - kinda like Rugby isnt it? I love Rugby.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
melysion said:
doodlebug said:
American football - kinda like Rugby isnt it? I love Rugby.
It's kind of like Rugby only more brutal. :lol:

During the regular season, football is generally viewed between the hours of 12 and 6 p.m. (central time zone) with one traditional Sunday evening game per week. The SuperBowl is aired later in the afternoon (kick-off 5:30) because it's generally a big party! Gives time for people to get home from church (those that do), take off their Sunday best and put on their best "football-watching attire" and head off to a shin-dig. Pre-game festivities actually begin a lot earlier in the day with television interviews with so-called no-it-all's of the game, etc.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
MissAnne2u said:
GO CARDINALS !!!

Only because I can't stand the STEALERS after they stole the Superbowl championship from us !!! (The Seahawks)
I second that! that superbowl win was a fluke!!
I am going to be a happy woman coming Monday morning, all the Steelers fans are going to be so depressed!
GO KURT!!
On a side note.. I am going to be sad once football season is over, I am all about fantasy football, watching football, picking games, aww I am a football addict :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
When we got married, I promised hubby that I would host a SB party for him if his team ever made it to the SuperBowl. It was pretty much an empty promise because since he's a diehard Vikings fan I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. Sorry, Lori! :lol:
:sad

Ya, I know what you mean. :)

I am the opposite. We stay home and don't host a party because I want to watch the game, not entertain guests. I would probably need to be sedated if the Vikings ever make it back-the playoffs make me so nervous I can hardly stand it!

I am rooting for the Cardinals, as they have never won a Super Bowl.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
hypertweeky said:
On a side note.. I am going to be sad once football season is over, I am all about fantasy football, watching football, picking games, aww I am a football addict :)
My husband's work has done a football pool for the last 5-6 years. Three times, I have won "All The Marbles" (it is a large canning jar full of marbles) for having the most correct picks all season! Actually, the boss' kids have chosen better than many of us adults, but he won't let them participate in the competition with the adults, they only get family/friend bragging rights.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts