Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What supplements do you give to your (old) cat and why?

My cat Nabi at 17, i feel i sould give her some supplements as i experienced some positives from giving supplements to my 16 yr old dog.
My cat is healthy atm with 4 meals per day (she eats very little!!!!)but she is not so good with tabs/capsules.
Pls share your knowledge with me. Also as i am a newbie here if there is a good thread from the past, pls share with me. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I searched this forum and mostly what I found were supplements for specific conditions. 17 years old and healthy - that's great! Maybe someone will chime in with more information, but in the meantime, wow, you're doing a great job.

Reactions: hachna08

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!

17 and healthy - that’s great! If your cat is generally healthy and if you feed her high quality food, I don’t really see any purpose of giving her supplements. And if she isn’t a fan of tablets I wouldn’t force her to eat them. If she gets supplements even though she’s not lacking in any vitamins it could cause more harm than good. But if you decide to give her something, I’d recommend discussing it with a veterinarian beforehand.

Hydration is really important for older cats. This is great for their kidneys and their general health. I’d recommend a grain free wet food or a raw diet because dry food isn’t that hydrating. In the wild, most cats get their hydration through meat (70-75%). That’s why cats aren’t great at drinking water because they’re supposed to get most of it from their food.

I’m sorry if this didn’t really answer your question, but I hope you got some insights! And I hope your cat’s enjoying her senior life! :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I agree with the above. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just carry on with what you have been doing and make sure she is well hydrated. So lovely to hear of a 17 year old cat in good health. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts