Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet recommended L-Lysine for a cat that's too thin and malnourished due to illness, but I was wondering if there are any other vitamins / supplements that would be a good idea to give her?

She eats chicken breast and a/d (special wet food for recovering cats), I've also been feeding her kitten and pregnant cat food (Science Diet) because it contains Lysine and I suppose it's richer than regular canned food.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
My vet has me give the Vetri-Science DMG liquid vitamins. They boost the immune system in health compromised cats and kittens. I think there was a study done with felt or fiv cats where it helped reduce the symptoms. The canned A/D is a good food and rich kitten food will help your kitty pack on some lbs! Maybe some goats milk too. L-lysines can be bought separately and applied to any food.

L-lysine is used for URI if settled in eyes. I haven't heard it used for weight gain

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Mitts!

He recommended the L-Lysine for general strengthening, as this is a very sick yard cat.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The only thing I would give, in addition to the L-lysine, is salmon oil for omega 3s. Otherwise, a healthy diet (grain-free canned food or raw) should do the trick! IMO a/d is a crap food like all Hill's products--I would consider something like Evo 95% meat formulae or Wellness CORE. Give a little Nutrical to boost calories.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Alot of times when we bring in a sick starving cat the rich foods like evo are too rich to begin with.

Same theory as when they found people in concentration camps. Start out mild foods tto begin with. Their systems couldnt handle rich foods.

I think the a/d is a good start. You can work up to a better quality food later. Not right now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, Wellness and Evo are not imported here. Salmon oil - thank you so much, I have it at home and hadn't thought about it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts