Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a single guy, I occasionally scan through the online personal ads. I've noticed that a large percentage of the women I've looked at, at least those that I was attracted to and looked further into their profile, don't like cats. On one of the online dating services there is a section for "pet preferences" and unfortunately about 75% of the women I've looked at list cats as a pet they don't like.

I've always expected guys to dislike cats just beacuse it is a "macho" thing but women? BTW, all of the women who didn't like cats liked dogs though.

This sounds very "Wisconsin" because this is a dog dominant state. Obviously these women grew up in households where they were taught that dogs are superior and cats are inferior.

I say that if you want to be with me, you have to accept cats because mine is staying right here. I figure any woman that doesn't like cats has never met a cat like Barnaby.

Some day I may have to "convert" someone. :wink:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Those women that don't like cats either don't know one, or had one bad experience.

Not even just women, but my male friends that claim they don't like cats always have their mind changed after a few hours at my place with Punky and Elly, lol.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
i was braught up by my mum to hate cats, if i saw one in my garden to chase it off, and as a child i did. aparently when she was a child she had a horrible experince with one, and hated them eversince.
when my boyfriend asked me to move in with him he had 2 cats, i said yes, and now, well with another 3 cats, a litter of kittens in the past, and some cats that are spoilt rotten by me! i think we can safely assume i LOVE cats :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's not to like about a cat? I think many people have this pre-conceived notion about cats from what other people around them say and just don't like them with never having truly gotten to know one. :evil:

·
Registered
866 Posts
A co-worker just adobted a cat after years of cat hating. I guess his parents cat was ill tempered and he thought they all were. :roll:

He just got married (in his late 30's) and she wanted a cat and he wanted a dog. He was NEVER going to get a cat. Me and her convinced him otherwise and they picked up a kitten which he has really seemed to enjoy. :)

However, they picked the kitten over the cat I wanted them to get (they were both at the SPCA). They're picking up a dog from the SPCA tonight.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I can't imagine anyone not loving cats! Everyone seems to think that cats are selfish, but they can be rather loving creatures if raised that way. Some of the women at work hate them because they think cats are evil. I don't understand how they got that idea. Love me, Love my cats! :wink:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Richo, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to be with someone who likes cats. In my singe days, I always felt that was important. On my first date with my husband we were discussing pets and he commented that he prefers cats to dogs. I really liked a lot of things about him, but that really helped seal the deal!! :D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
well i guess because i was braught up not to like them i didnt know any better.
i was taught they were slimey, evil, dont care for people and are selfish.

**** i know A LOT better now, i love my cats to death, they snugle up to me, greet me when i come home.

Lol a funny story actually, i was walking to work this morning and vienna popped out of a nearby field, anyway i gave her a little loving (otherwise id miss my bus) picked her up and put her over my garden wall and went on to work.
the i hear this huge meow, she jumped down off the wall, and was intenton coming to work with me, i sent her home, told her no, she would not listen! inthe end i had to pick her up, carry her all the way home, put her in the kitchen and run for my bus! LoL otherwise the kids would have had a feline visitor today!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That seems so surprising to me, because I always hear about guys who prefer dogs to cats and guys trying to date "cat people" women and having a hard time with it.
I will say that David originally liked cats, but I think he has really fallen in love with them after I got Stormy (and later, Justin). It took some time, but it happened, and is happening more the longer we have these kitties.
I knew I had him absolutey hooked on them when I called him about a month ago. He was at my apartment taking care of the cats while I was at my parent's house for the weekend. I mentioned that I could hear Stormy meow in the background and suddenly he's saying "Stormy, come here! Come talk to Mommy, Stormy! Justin! Do you want to talk to Mommy?" LOL :D
He also has started kissing them on top of the head the way I have for months and months.
But really I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Who could resist these furry babes?! I'm just SO pleased that he no longer just tolerates them or just likes them, but has fallen in the love with them. ::)) And that's just the way it should be!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I really know what you mean shlanon. My boyfriend, Cam, didn't really like my cats when we first started dating. He would push Levi off his chest when he came for a snuggle and had a fit if I asked if he wanted a drink of water from a glass that a cat had drank from. Now he calls all the cats into the room when we go to bed, and does that typical cat-person thing where you refuse to move all night in case you disturb the cats sleeping on the bed. Also, Cleo sits with him every morning for breakfast and he lets her eat his cereal :shock: !

So you just have to give people time. If you treat your cats like babies, your partner will have a hard time refusing to act the same! They fall in love with our furry friends just as much as we do.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Women. lets get together and beat up Bean in the alley tonight! And I thought he was soooooo nice! :wink:

Some parents' prejudice against cats rubs off on the kids, no doubt. My niece hated cats all or her life, and is now a cat lover. In fact she has two of my Siamese kittens. Her mother hated cats and she had picked up on it. A stray changed her mind, then died and she couldn't be comforted! We grew up together, and are really great friends. She called me from out of state so many times, because she thought noone in her family would understand. She had raised them to hate cats! Sad.... :cry: At that time I had two Siamese kittens, and that was quite a coincidence. They were just at the right age to leave mother cat.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
First of all I have to say that from most sories I read here tonight I understand that the more time they spent around cats the not-so-crazy about cats people fell in love with them :).
I have to admit that I have been close to dogs all my life. I grew up with them wiping off my tears in tough moments so there is a strong bondage between me and them.
I knew that when I would come of age to have my life in my own hands I would have dogs and maybe cats but I have never ever thought I would start off with cats...Frosty just happened to be in need and as of lately Cheerio also (Frosty's brand new little wild sister). So I have come to understand cats' nature more and more
Jeanie's quote is the most eloquent in this situation. It is comparing the dog to prose - which is in general easier to digest and the cat to a poem - it may take a while but when figured out - it comes out in all its splendor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts