Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor's cat had three Himalayan kittens, and I am / was going to be given one. One kitten passed away about a week ago, because the kittens were not well taken care of by whoever was left responsible to care for them while my neighbor was out of town (I believe). Recently, another kitten passed away; I'm not sure why. There is only one kitten left, which might be given to me (I hope). The kitten that has survived (so far) is about a month old. I highly doubt it has had its shots yet. What might be some possibilities as to why these kittens have passed away? I plan on taking my new kitten, if I get it, to the vet as soon as possible. :patback

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
At one month old, the kitten is too young for its first shots. There's no way of knowing what happened to the other kittens at this point. I would ask your neighbor if you could take the kitten to a vet right now, if they won't, to check out its health.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
:p Wouldn't hurt to sneak mom along for a spay and a checkup...doesn't sound like they are that careful with their pets. :wink

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The whole family including mom probably needs a check-up, but the mom won't be able to be spayed until she stops nursing. Kittens in general are pretty fragile, especially if they aren't being watched/observed regularly. I know someone who feeds a stray cat that had kittens and allows the cat family to stay on their screened in porch. There were 5 kittens in the litter that all seemed pretty healthy, but one died suddenly at about 9 weeks old. The only warning sign was that the kitten had goopy looking eyes the day before (probably indicating a respiratory infection), but this person did not realize it was a serious issue. It sounds like your neighbor is somewhat nonchalant/un-knowledgeable about kitten health, so if you can afford it, I would volunteer to take the whole little family into the vet. The good thing about taking the mom is that you can get tests done on her that the kittens are too young for (like felv/fiv).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts